Mercruiser Horizon 350 5.7 MPI Constant Alarm

jayare627

Recruit
I have a 31' Tiara sportfish with twin Mercruiser Horizon 350 5.7's. Boat is a 1983, engines are 2004's. I was coming in last year when I got a constant alarm on the starboard engine, engine was running at 1100 RPM. I checked all gauges, which appeared normal and shut down immediately. Went downstairs and open engine hatches, checked all fluid levels, everything normal. I started engine back up, engine ran fine and 20 seconds in constant alarm goes off again. Plenty of oil, transmission fluid, temperature in normal range. I shut down engine and continued in on one engine.

I came back next day, started engine up, exact same situation. Engine runs fine but 15 seconds after starting constant alarm starts. I then decided to switch ECMs to see if it was a sensor or something in the ECM. I put the starboard ECM (one causing the constant alarm) onto the port engine. Started it up and now the port engine throws a constant alarm 15 seconds after starting. I've narrowed it down to the ECM it seems. I used it for the rest of the season and just disconnected the alarm (Stupid I know).

My question is, the ECM is a Delphi MEFI-4 12575479-2. Does anyone have any knowledge if this can be reset or flashed/reprogrammed? Are there any places that I can send it out to? Thanks in advance.

Fun Times

Staff member

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Horizon 350 5.7 MPI Constant Alarm

Outdrive oil level ????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outdrive oil level ????

When he moved the ECM to the other engine, the alarm also changed to the other engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't recall any of the Horizon engines ever using anything earlier than the 555.

jayare627

Recruit

Interesting your engines are 2004's & using the MEFI-4 system. Where these engines bought remanufactured?

Do you by chance have the engine serial number to confirm the year & model for you.

Since you say you have the MEFI-4, The guys at mefiburn or mefituning should be able to give accurate advice.

MEFI Scan & Tune, MEFIburn, MEFI tuning, Ramjet
Top Quality Source for Boat MEFI ECU Tuning | CO, KS, OK, TX, NE, AR, MO | MEFI Tuning

Yes the engines were bought reman, the engine serial #'s put the blocks in the 2001-2002 range. Thanks for the info!

Fun Times

Staff member

Yes the engines were bought reman, the engine serial #'s put the blocks in the 2001-2002 range. Thanks for the info!
The 2004 statemeant was throwing me off a bit. New 04 engines would have been ecm 555's while the complete remanufactured engines started using the MEFI-4 kit's due to the MEFI-3's were rapidly becoming obsolete if i recall correctly. It seemed to take a while before merc reman's started using the 555 ecm.