Cracked Intake Manifold

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a '98 i/o 350 mercruiser v8 efi. i noticed some water around where the thermostat and the intake manifold bolt together. after looking at it closer i noticed the intake is cracked. is it possible to use an epoxy to fix it? if so, what product do i use? thank you claudio

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cracked Intake Manifold

Replace it before it costs you the rest of the engine.

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you don. a new one is around a $1,000. is there an aftermarket i could use? if so, whats the brand and where do i get it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually when a replacement intake manifold question is asked, the experts need to know if you boat in fresh water only or if there is any salt water use mixed in as that can limit the replacement choices.

Also might be a good idea to post you engine serial number as that can sometimes help.

Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

intakes for your boat motor are about $350 from companies such as michigan motors. they are on Ebay used for about $100.

clasavi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes, the oat is and has been used in salt water
Engine Serial OLO 67176
Sterndrive OL153367

also, will a 1998 intake manifolds from a Vortex truck Engine work? how can i cross referance the part numbers?

i will be doing the work myself this weekend, is it difficult and does anyone know what the torque specs are?

thanks,

Claudio

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Not knowing what you have for an intake, if your carb'd, no. GM used EFI for the trucks. The marine engines came from the industrial engine division. I would look for a marine intake. the aluminum ones have brass alloy water passages.

As I stated, check out michigan Motorz

V8 - SBC 5.0L / 5.7L - Michigan Motorz

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, if your serial number is right for the engine, you have a Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI with a Bravo I drive.

Carbed manifolds, or TBI manifolds are NOT going to do the job.

This is exactly why serial numbers are so important.