1995 Sea Ray 195 BR Oil Drain Question

rdrksmith

Seaman Apprentice
On my Sea Ray it has a regular "Automotive" type oil plug that is a *$^% to get to. I have never liked the dipstick style pumps.

What would be the requirements to change to one of the Newer style drain plugs that have the hull plug attached to the rubber hose that drains the oil outside the hull ?? (did that make sense ?)

My Buddy's boat is a newer 2008 Bayliner that has the same engine as my boat. But his has a neat little device where his hull plug is attached by a small cable to a rubber hose that his oil pan drain plug is attached to. You pull the hull drain plug and it pulls the drain hose outside the hull to drain the oil... SHEER GENIUS :D

I want one of those. Do they sell them or can I make one ?

I have scoured the internet and just don't know what the name of it is. :facepalm:

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Sea Ray 195 BR Oil Drain Question

What engine? Serial number would be even better.

rdrksmith

Seaman Apprentice

DUH !!
I am sorry I thought you should know that by some unknown reason.
It is the Mercruiser 4.3LX
Serial Number on the Outdrive is OF483161

Thanks Don

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok, being a 95 boat, it could have been a 96 engine which would have taken a different kit.
This should be the one you need. One note, there are aftermarket kits, but they won't fit through the drain plug, so keep that in mind.
These list from Merc for about $76, google the part number and you should find it for less.

drain hose.jpg

rdrksmith

Seaman Apprentice

Don S...

You are the BOMB :cool:

Thanks

rdrksmith

Seaman Apprentice

Don S...

You are the BOMB :cool:

Thanks

P.S.
I like the note that
"The boat needs to be removed from the water to take advantage of this feature."

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...SHEER GENIUS...

...at least in theory they are genius and better than dumping oil in your bilge but some setups do not seem to be conducive to draining using the tether.

Even with the oil warm and the tether out the drain plug regardless of how high or low the trailer was jacked up for my Sea Ray, it was terribly slow.....I ended up using the suck-it-out-the-dipstick method.

Same for the Maxum when I had that boat which also had a tether; just didn't want to drain that fast and using a $30 12v Sea Choice pump was more effective.

A buddy has a Caliber 1 with a 454 that also has a tether. He can store that boat in his garage so he warms it up, opens the tether and comes back the next morning as his also drains very slow.

Hopefully your Sea Ray will like it better.

Mark

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to remove the dip stick and oil fill cap? Otherwise you create a vacuum and it will not drain quickly ;)

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forgot to remove the dip stick and oil fill cap?

Nope; both of my boats and his the dipstick was out and filler cap off.......just a slow drip....

Mark

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Not a good post.

Last edited: