5.0L Merc Oil Drain Hose Diagram Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KetchiMan

Seaman
2004 Merc 5.0L MPI, serial # 0W018920 in a 2004 Trophy 2359

I have a static oil leak that loses 4-5 qts when not running. Oil pan hole or drain plug issue seemed like the obvious answer, but I looked at this diagram
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=8093&bnbr=140&bdesc=Oil+Pan+and+Oil+Pump
and it appears that there may be an Oil Drain Hose with some sort of "quick connect fitting" (***parts which are no longer made or available***) that goes into the bottom of the oil pan, or maybe even into the drain plug itself. Maybe someone with a smarter eye than me could tell what the diagram is showing...

Has anybody been under one of these and could tell me how that oil drain system works and whether or not it is the likely culprit of my static oil leak? Anybody know how to remedy this? Perhaps without pulling the entire engine?????

Much appreciated,
-Nick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0L Merc Oil Drain Hose Diagram Help

Have you wiped everything off real good and then checked to see where the leak is coming from?

KetchiMan

Seaman

Have you wiped everything off real good and then checked to see where the leak is coming from?

No, I haven't. With this setup, it's extremely difficult to see anything under the engine without pulling the exhaust manifold. Even then, I don't think you could see under the pan.

Did that diagram make any sense to you???

Don S

Any part of that assembly could be leaking. Could also be a front or main seal, or a pan gasket, or a valve cover gasket leaking running down the side and dripping off the pan at the lowest spot.

There is no "Best guess" as to what's leaking. I would bet on a hole in the pan or bad seal before that hose assembly.

KetchiMan

Seaman

Any part of that assembly could be leaking. Could also be a front or main seal, or a pan gasket, or a valve cover gasket leaking running down the side and dripping off the pan at the lowest spot.

There is no "Best guess" as to what's leaking. I would bet on a hole in the pan or bad seal before that hose assembly.

Is there any way a seal or gasket could cause it to lose all of its oil while sitting at the dock? Seems to me that to lose that much oil while not running, the leak would have to be on the very bottom of the oil pan. Am I missing something???

Thanks

Don S

I have a static oil leak that loses 4-5 qts when not running.

I read right over that and it didn't register.......... Sorry about that.

Is the pan rusty?

Yes, one of the seals on the oil drain could fail and let all the oil leak out. Or the quick disconnect itself. Who knows, maybe that's why the parts are NLA, they didn't last.

KetchiMan

Seaman

Does that drain tube come out of the regular drain plug?

Would it be advisable to just replace that drain tube assembly with a solid plug since I change the oil with a pump/tube anyways?

Don S

Yes

Would it be advisable to just replace that drain tube assembly with a solid plug since I change the oil with a pump/tube anyways?

You could give it a try, if you can get at it to replace it. It should be a Metric plug (M12 X 1.75 thread).

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As Don said, you can put a drain plug in it. If it were mine, I wouldnt. I would replace the tube with the proper drain plug with a cable attatched. It is SO much easier to drain the oil out your transom drain plug than it is getting up there with a pump and getting oil all over everything. You just pull that cable through the drain hole and let it drain into a gallon jug. It is far easier and far quicker than trying to get it out your dipstick. Plus it is at the bottom of the pan and you will get all your oil out. I have never been particularly sure that I am getting everything out through the dipstick.

But that is me. I love how easy it makes oil changes. I can do it in about 10 minutes now.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man it almost seems to be a no brainer if the oil is leaking out without the engine runnin and there are no signs of oil above the pan that that contraption is the culprit! remove it and go with the solid plug. I like to drain the oil out through the pan but with limited access pullin it out through the stick is the best and most convienant option. Good luck and post back!

Fun Times

Staff member

2004 Merc 5.0L MPI, serial # 0W018920 in a 2004 Trophy 2359

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=8093&bnbr=140&bdesc=Oil+Pan+and+Oil+Pump
and it appears that there may be an Oil Drain Hose with some sort of "quick connect fitting" (***parts which are no longer made or available***) that goes into the bottom of the oil pan, or maybe even into the drain plug itself.
Your serial number 0W018920 shows you should have the (design II oil drain hose -without quick connect hose assembly) SN# 0M642775 & up. The design II (Merc part #32-865281) shows still available. See the second item number of three total under item numbers 22 in your link above.

Also, Here's some good photos of the hose ends found in the ebay link below for you,
Mercury Mercruiser Oil Drain Hose and Oil Line 32 865281 and 32 863651 | eBay

You could have a loose fitting or bad gasket, item numbers 11 & 12, Keeping in mind that number 12 is permanently affixed to the hose now.
I have seen a few loose tether assemblies (#25 going into #22) leak oil before.
Tether Drain Plug, Mercury - Mercruiser 862827 from Wholesale Marine

Have you noticed 4 or 5 qts of oil in your bilge area under the engine?

Try a telescoping mirror to see under the engine.;)

Good luck.:)

KetchiMan

Seaman

Your serial number 0W018920 shows you should have the (design II oil drain hose -without quick connect hose assembly) SN# 0M642775 & up. The design II (Merc part #32-865281) shows still available. See the second item number of three total under item numbers 22 in your link above.

Good luck.:)

Thanks for the info.

I may well be crazy, but isn't my engine serial (0W018920) actually "below" the serial # indicated (0M642775 & up) for that part??? The Merc site says that the part for "0M642775 & below" is no longer available. Am I missing something?????

Thanks,
-Nick

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the info.

I may well be crazy, but isn't my engine serial (0W018920) actually "below" the serial # indicated (0M642775 & up) for that part??? The Merc site says that the part for "0M642775 & below" is no longer available. Am I missing something?????

Thanks,
-Nick

Ayuh,.... "OW" is Well After "OM"....

KetchiMan

Seaman

Ayuh,.... "OW" is Well After "OM"....

So, I just sang the alphabet song in my head, and apparently you're correct... :facepalm:

:facepalm: Fortunately my wife doesn't check this website. If she did, she would now have proof positive that she is right... and I am a complete and total idiot. :facepalm:

I guess I was (like an idiot) only looking at the numbers, as an idiot would do. :facepalm:

Does this mean I'm too much of an idiot to even attempt to work on a boat???

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, I just sang the alphabet song in my head, and apparently you're correct... :facepalm:

:facepalm: Fortunately my wife doesn't check this website. If she did, she would now have proof positive that she is right... and I am a complete and total idiot. :facepalm:

I guess I was (like an idiot) only looking at the numbers, as an idiot would do. :facepalm:

I am right there with ya and I work on my boat, and in 15 years I havent sunk any, so I think you are OK.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Some of the smartest people in the world are dyslexic :lol:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... So long as ya got the Tools, look the part, 'n Yell alota odd words when ya Smack yer finger,......

You'll problably get by, playin' a "Boat Mechanic".... ;)

Don S

Have you ever tried to replace the impeller in your raw water pump? Reason I ask, is I remember a customer had a 23' Trophy, may not be the same boat you have, but I had to pull the engine just to replace the impeller. You could only touch the the pump with one finger while in the boat. Pulling the engine and re-installing was as easy as the pump. Two day job. For an impeller.

If you have the same setup, no wonder you can't look at you oil hose with a mirror or even touch it. Worst design I ever imagined. Hopefully you have a different model.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So long as ya got the Tools, look the part, 'n Yell alota odd words when ya Smack yer finger,......
You'll problably get by, playin' a "Boat Mechanic"

Based upon THAT definition.....

I'm a BOAT MECHANIC !!!
I'm a BOAT MECHANIC !!!
I'm a BOAT MECHANIC !!!

Now where to get a job as a BOAT MECHANIC? Should be with someone that has a reliable and a good reputation.

I know, great guy with a fabulous reputation in Western WA.
Oh wait, he made his fortune and is now retired; darn.

Great guy in Perth, Western Australia also with a fantastic reputation.
Shoot, he also made his fortune and is now retired.

Guess there's that place I heard about somewhere called Chaumont River, Ny. think it's called "From Pulleys to Prop".
Guy claims to have had a box end wrench in his hand as a baby instead of a rattler. Let's see, Bon hack Jovi...no that's not his name. Is it Bon hack App?***, no that's not it either.......New York is too cold for me anyway. I'll just stay here in sunny SoCal.

Mark

The above has no references to anyone past, present or future and meant totally in humor wasting only a couple of bytes of Internet storage.

KetchiMan

Seaman

Have you ever tried to replace the impeller in your raw water pump? Reason I ask, is I remember a customer had a 23' Trophy, may not be the same boat you have, but I had to pull the engine just to replace the impeller. You could only touch the the pump with one finger while in the boat. Pulling the engine and re-installing was as easy as the pump. Two day job. For an impeller.

If you have the same setup, no wonder you can't look at you oil hose with a mirror or even touch it. Worst design I ever imagined. Hopefully you have a different model.

Yeah, water pump/impeller was a bear. Was able to get it with the motor still in the boat, but barely... I was 275 lbs of 6'2" man upside down in the bilge through the battery hatch (which is narrower than I am) with only my legs showing and only able to get one hand on the pump and had to do the whole thing by braille since I couldn't see anything. Had to have a buddy pull me out by my feet. Could only reach the hose with the one hand, so couldn't do the hose clamps. Had to cut the intake hose in half back near the starter and pull it out with the pump, then splice that hose back together with a connector when I reinstalled. Hated every minute of it...

The HP fuel pump was even worse.

I absolutely love the 2359 design for fishing with the family, but it just isn't made to house an engine that size. Would be WAY better off with an outboard. I know several guys around here who have converted their Trophys to outboards. If I can't find an 18 inch tall mechanic, I'll probably end up converting some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.