No Power Help ME PLEASE......

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I wanted to see if someone could help me. This is my first project boat and first time I ever tried a project this big. I got a 1989 Sea Ray Seville 20ft with a 1988-89 Mercruiser 4.3 L ( 2BBL GM 262CID ) serial on the boat motor is # B914147.
I took the motor of the boat to re do the floor this spring. I wanted to test the motor while I had it out and may be dress it up a little. I had to replace the starter and I was able to Jump the slave Solenoid ( red/ pur + red /yel ) to make the starter turn but the motor would start.. I noticed that I didn't have the Ignition module plugged connected . I Reconnected the module and grounded the wires back, tried to jump again . It turned the starter then nothing. Every time I try to jump it ( S S red/ pur + red /yel ) I'm not getting power to the starter nor do I hear the S S click . I think I fried something when I connected the module and tried to jump it again.

I had the starter retested that's fine, had the battery tested and that's fine I reset the circuit breaker but still nothing.

I read on some of the forms on jumping the Slave Solenoid and I tried to jump yel/red + yel/red. but since my motor is out of the boat I don't have a key set up ( like the pic. below )

I also tried bypassing the Circuit Breaker and jumping the SS and still nothing ..
Please Help..........
Thanks Mike

Untitled1.jpg

Attachments

• Wire.jpg
    Wire.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No Power Help ME PLEASE......

Don ,
Thanks for the write up . I ended up buying a switch ran the wires fired up :) . New question I want to run some bench test on the motor while its out of the boat . What kind of fuel pump do I use ? The original one is still on the boat? I seen videos on you tube I only see a hose from the engine into a gas can and it runs what am I missing ?

Thanks again

Mike B

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it was the original fuel pump for your engine, then it woud be a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine. So now the question is, what pump do you have and how is it wired to your engine?

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

Don on the motor I don't see wires running to it only a rubber hose and a metal hose . I will check again and post a pic in a few.

Don S

Don on the motor I don't see wires running to it only a rubber hose and a metal hose . I will check again and post a pic in a few.
You have a serious explosion and fire hazard. Is the pump even marine rated?

Your fuel pump needs to be wired up to an oil pressure switch and the starter so it only runs when the engine is running, or trying to start with the starter engaged.

Augie56

Seaman

Don on the motor I don't see wires running to it only a rubber hose and a metal hose . I will check again and
post a pic in a few.

I think he's speaking of the mechanical fuel pump (no electric one present)?

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it's mechanical pump ( looked OL for a replacement ) the metal hose runs to the carb were there is a connector with a purple wire and a black wire . Do I jump those wires to make the pump work ? Run purple to + of the battery and the black to - of the battery ?

I a newbie please take it easy on my dumb ??s here

Augie56

Seaman

A mechanical fuel pump is just that...mechanically-driven...by the engine. So, if all is well, with the engine out of the boat, you should be able to feed the mechanical fuel pump (via a remote tank of gas) and get the engine to run. Of course, you'd have to temporarily wire the starter and ignition on the engine being that it's not in the boat. But fuel wise, the mechanical pump should do the same job with the engine out as it did with the engine in.

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

Augie56,
If I poor or dip gas in the carb it will run , I have a separate gas can and put the gas Line in the tank but I doesn't syphon or pull gas from the tank .. Could that mean my pump is bad ?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the metal hose runs to the carb were there is a connector with a purple wire and a black wire . Do I jump those wires to make the pump work ?

no

you do nothing with those wires, leave them where they are

you do not have an electric fuel pump, you have a mechanical fuel pump

the wires you refer to are for your electric choke

if you want to run your engine on the floor, just connect an outboard fuel tank with a rubber hose to the barb inlet fitting on the fuel pump

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

Don
You say I need to run it with the oil pressure switch and starter .. Looking at the wire diagram above would that mean I need to jump #4 to #5 or is it #4 to #6 to make the pump run ?

Gas can is about 3-4 ft away from the motor with hose taped off (to prevent a explosion )

Augie56

Seaman

As was stated above, an outboard engine gas tank with the feed hose (including bulb primer) would be helpful. Priming with the bulb would help you rule out a bad mechanical fuel pump. Mechanical fuel pumps do wear out, so that may be your culprit.

Connecting a battery and jumping the starter solenoid should be all the wiring you need to do the run the engine out of the boat. There is no need to tear into any plug wiring.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

You say I need to run it with the oil pressure switch and starter .. Looking at the wire diagram above would that mean I need to jump #4 to #5 or is it #4 to #6 to make the pump run ?

according to your description, you DO NOT have an electric fuel pump, so you DO NOT need to wire anything out of the ordinary

Don's description and diagram is for an electric fuel pump, disregard it and use an outboard fuel tank connected to the inlet hose barb on your mechanical fuel pump

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for clarifying that for me . I have turned the key several times and I'm not getting gas to the motor it seems . Would this be a sign that its bad ? Not sure how long it's been sitting .

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks guys for clarifying that for me . I have turned the key several times and I'm not getting gas to the motor it seems . Would this be a sign that its bad ? Not sure how long it's been sitting .

Ayuh,.... Exactly, what have you done, besides turnin' the key...

readin' this thread, it seems you have No clue as to what yer doin', or can't Say what yer doin'....

Btw,... Turnin' the key On, does Nothing with a Mechanical fuel pump...
Ya gotta prime it as noted above, 'n turn the motor over, as noted above...

Dollars

Seaman Apprentice

bond -O
yes you are correct I have no clue what I'm doing and im trying to learn here As I stated above . This my my first time working on a project like this.. Trying to under stand the mechanics of the motor sorry if I'm not give the correct terms here .

Don S

If you don't know what something is called, then post a picture of it.
Earlier you said the fuel pump was "still on the boat", that can't happen with a mechanical fuel pump like your engine should have.
Post a picture of your engine? Who knows, it may have been replaced by a previous owner.

We can't see what you are doing, and when you give is wrong information, we can't help you.

Do you have a manual for the engine so you can see what things are called? With any kind manual, OEM or even Seloc or Clymers will at least let you identify a part.

Don S

To hook up your engine to run on while on blocks.

Fuel: Hook up a remote tank to the fuel pump inlet fitting.

Battery: Hook positive to Starter and negative to ground stud on flywheel cover just like it was in the boat.

Water: Hook garden hose to the thermostat where the hose from the transom shield and drive pump hooks up.

Ignition: Jumper wire from battery positive terminal to the + terminal of the coil. Remove jumper to turn engine off.

Starter: Jump across the two large terminals on the slave solenoid.