Alarm on Mercruiser 3.0

bokarlsten

Cadet
Hi.
I have a mercruiser 3.0 from 1998. As I understand it has no alarm installed for overheat or low oil pressure. I recently had an overheat that ended up in a 900 $ repair.
I`m looking for some kind of alarm kit that I can mount.
Anyone with a suggestion?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Alarm on Mercruiser 3.0

Did it not show up on the temp gauge that you were over heating? What exactly needed to be repaired?

bokarlsten

Cadet

Did it not show up on the temp gauge that you were over heating? What exactly needed to be repaired?

It probably showed up on on the gauge but I think I was busy with the sun tan ;) The cylinder head was bent and needed fixing...

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I hooked my temp alarm up using a sensor for an electric fan (summit racing), I think it comes on at 180 deg. Works perfect since boat temp are 140 or 160. The only issue I have is if I let the boat sit for say 10 min, while fueling then start it back up the alarm sounds because the engine temp goes up until the circulation pump cools the engine back down. Not a big deal just tests the alarm.

Also hooked up a 15psi oil pressure switch. Both switches connect to ground when activated.
So if I have either a oil pressure problem or temp problem the light and alarm goes off on my dash because the sensor completes the circuit to ground.
Power is only to the light/alarm when the key is in the run position. Buy a 12v light any were and I think radio shack had a cheap plastic 12v alarm.
Been working now or 8 years, I use the boat in salt water 2-4 weeks a year.