couple of outdrive upper and lower questions

I have a few questions on my 95 4.3 LX Gen II outdrive, since I have my 4.3 out at the machine shop now I figured I would tackle going through the outdrive as when I drained the outdrive oil it was a "chocolate milkshake" :blue: Anyway I ordered all my parts bellows kit with new gimbal bearing, impeller gear kit with new housing and plate, new sierra trim senders, I had a question on the "milkshake" that was everywhere it was inside the u joint bellows when I took the outdrive off now does that mean the u joint yoke seal is toast? I am racking my brain trying to think of where else it could come from and cannot think of anywhere else, I did not pressure test the upper or lower since I decided I was going to replace the seals, I seperated the upper and lower drives and I noticed there was no O-ring in the passage where the oil goes from the lower to the upper! none whatsoever! could this be the reason for the "milkshake"? Looks like I will have to order the tool to get the u joint yoke out of the upper so I can do the yoke seal.

Augie56

Seaman
Re: couple of outdrive upper and lower questions

Yeah, that little o-ring seal between the upper and lower is kinda necessary to keep seawater out of the outdrive lube. If you disassembled and found no o-ring there, you can be sure some water was mixing in the lube (and some lube was probably escaping, too).

Yes, I had planned on doing that but I after I noticed that O-ring missing I thought maybe that's how the water ended up in the outdrive. also do I need a special tool to replace the oil seal on the lower output (prop) shaft?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

put the oring in, reassemble and pressure test the drive.

even if you are going to reseal ultimately, you'll want to see where the leaks are and verify housings are ok - no cracks or leaks at the bearing carrier etc.

wrench 3

Commander

There is a special tool for the bearing carrier retainer on the lower unit. You also need a tool for the shift shalt seal/bushing, but it can be made from an old deep socket and grind the end down to make two lugs.
You can pressure test each unit separately with a tapered adapter in the oil holes. This also makes the units easier to submerse in water to check for bubbles.