5.7 to 5.0 can I use the 5.7L flywheel

rebuilder45

Cadet
New to boats but bought a project that came with a rebuilt engine. My 1975 SeaRay had 5.7L v8 that has a cracked block and the seller had purchased a rebuilt 5.0L to switch into it circa 1999. A few things have nto switch over like the mechanical fuel pump.
The rebuilt 5.0L came with a new flywheel which is about 1" larger in Diameter than the existing 5.7L. I assume the larger diameter will fit in the housing but was wondering if I have to use the new flywheel or if there is an advantage.
Using the new one probably means I can't use the old starter, although it might not bolt up quite right.

appreciate the help and any tips, I know most go from the 5.0L to the 5.7 but they sold the engine with the boat.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 5.7 to 5.0 can I use the 5.7L flywheel

A 1975 engine would have a flywheel intended for a 2 piece crank. Your 1999 would have a 1 piece crank. The flywheels for either are not interchangeable.The newer flywheel will work, but you will need to get a marine starter for a 168 tooth flywheel, and may possibly need a coupler (depending on if you have a coupler that uses the crank bolts which would require a new coupler, or bolts directly to the flywheel which may work).

wrench 3

Commander
Re: 5.7 to 5.0 can I use the 5.7L flywheel

A 1975 engine would have a flywheel intended for a 2 piece crank. Your 1999 would have a 1 piece crank.
Just in case your scratching you head on this. He's referring to a 2 piece or 1 piece rear main oil seal.