Shifting

dknytn

Recruit
I have a 1994 Carver 310 Santego with twin Mercruiser 350's and Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrives, The boat is in the water.
It seems that I cannot move the throttles. They both feel like they are locked up, however, when I disconnect the shift cables from the quadrants, I can then move the throttle levers and I can manually move the shift cable into forward and reverse. Can anyone tell me if there is an ignition lockout that prevents throttle movement until the engines are running?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifting

I have a 1994 Carver 310 Santego with twin Mercruiser 350's and Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrives, The boat is in the water.
It seems that I cannot move the throttles. They both feel like they are locked up, however, when I disconnect the shift cables from the quadrants, I can then move the throttle levers and I can manually move the shift cable into forward and reverse. Can anyone tell me if there is an ignition lockout that prevents throttle movement until the engines are running?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... No interlocks that I know of,... though there might be a lock button on the controller...

I'd sooner think some cables are seized...

dknytn

Recruit

The shift levers have two switches. The switches on the sides I assume are for up/down for the outdrives. There are squeeze switches on the controls but when I squeeze them, it sounds just like a trim motor and I don't see what they actually do. Sorry for me sounding kind of stupid, I've just never had this kind of setup as this.
Thanks for the Welcome aboard!!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Even with the boat off you should be able to verify the activity with the switches and that, there is a trim "limit" electrical sender switch on the port side of the outdrive that keeps the drive from being raised too far in running conditions.

There is a "trailering" button that needs to be pushed to raise the drive up farther past the normal limit position.

I would assume you have some kind of swim platform that you can test the switches and physically see if the drive is all the way down, part way up, or most of the way up to figure out the switches.

Mark

dknytn

Recruit

Even with the boat off you should be able to verify the activity with the switches and that, there is a trim "limit" electrical sender switch on the port side of the outdrive that keeps the drive from being raised too far in running conditions.

There is a "trailering" button that needs to be pushed to raise the drive up farther past the normal limit position.

I would assume you have some kind of swim platform that you can test the switches and physically see if the drive is all the way down, part way up, or most of the way up to figure out the switches.

Mark

I can check the switches out, and the drives are completely down, but that still doesn't allow the throttles to move. Since it appears that there isn't any kind of interlock, I'm back to doing more troubleshooting for the locked throttles.
Thanks for the info!!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you able to start one or both of the engines and invoke the "neutral only" button to verify you can advance the throttles and raise the rpm of the engines without being in gear?

Mark

wrench 3

Commander

If the throttle levers at the helm will move when the shift cable is disconnected, and the rest of the system shifts OK without the controls hooked to it. I'd start with the cable adjustments, throttle, front shift cable, the works. If the boat is new to you, someone could have messed everything up.
If the levers at the helm won't move with the shift cable disconnected. Some control boxes have a button that you must push to get it out of neutral. Usually a knob on the end of the tee handle or a trigger under the tee handle.

dknytn

Recruit

Hey Wrench......The boat is new to me and I think you nailed it. The throttles will move with the shift cables disconnected. I think someone messed it all up. I'm thinking about converting the current throttle system over to the seperate throttle and seperate shift (red and black) system. I know I'll need to install a trim switch panel, but I think it would be well worth the effort.
Thanks for the info.

dknytn

Recruit

I did start the port engine, but the shift cable was disconnected so I could advance the rpm's. I didn't try it with the cable connected, I'll try that next.
Thank You!
Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The switches have nothing to do with shifting gears or moving the throttles only, and I'm not exactly sure what you are describing for sure.
'There is a neutral only button in the handle where it pivots. Post a picture of your control so we know what you have.

Do the throttle work with eveything hooked up?

Can you shift gears?