Parts help

jamesbus

Cadet
Last season my 2004 19ft Stingray LS developed an issue where the starter wouldnt turn over until after a 3 or 4 second delay from when I turned the key. Sometimes I had to jiggle the key a bit to get it to start. I never got stranded, but there were a few times where I was out on the lake and my fiance and I got pretty nervous. Not a great feeling...

I did some research and have come to the conclusion that the most likely culprit for this is a worn out ignition switch. Problem is...i have no idea what ignition switch I need. The boat's all wrapped up and I would like to be able to order the correct part so I can change it over when it's time to wake her from her slumber....

Anyone have any ideas on how I can track down the correct part?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Parts help

Ignition switches are pretty universal; electrically that is. There should only be 3 wires. Most any switch will work. As for cosmetics with your boat, if you care, I have no idea.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Parts help

you can order ignition key switches right here on iboats

some have three wires/connctions, others have four - on, run, start, and accy

depending on what you have, you will only know by removing your switch and comparing it with others - deciding on a switch is up to you

it could be possible the key switch isn't the culprit, here is a troubleshooting guide for your starting system:

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ting-your-engines-starting-system-167035.html