Mercruiser will start on trailer hard to start on water if at all.

bucknv19

Cadet
I have a 1985 23' Imperial with a 170 Mercruiser engine and a 3.7l Mercruiser outdrive. Recently got the carb rebuilt and put back on engine. Started the boat and it fired right up no problem. Went and launched the boat and hard to start at first, but got it going. After that it seemed to run fine. Shut it off and fished for a while and when I went to fire it back up it wouldn't fire just crank. Got a tow back in, trailered the boat and headed for home. When I got home decided to try again and it fired right up again no problems. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on.

Thanks,
Nick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser will start on trailer hard to start on water if at all.

Did you re-adjust the idle mixture? It can not be adjusted by the carb rebuilder. (Unless it's on the engine)

bucknv19

Cadet

No I don't think that I did. I can do that myself with some direction.

stratcat88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I don't think that I did. I can do that myself with some direction.
hey. had the same problem today. but now it wont even start on the muffs. i had a yamaha outdrive on my other boat that did the same thing so i had all three carbs rebuilt, cleaned the gas tanks.and replaced all the fuel hoses and it worked.your problem still sounds like fuel related.the idle mixture adjustments wont get you up to speed. clean your fuel system

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my many years of boating, I've encountered several no-start conditions. About 3 of those times it was a bad ignition switch. Last summer one of our dock neighbors, with an identical '07 Bayliner like ours had to replace the ignition switch. They don't like the wet environment...

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

you need to check if you have spark or fuel problems. When it won't start see if you have spark at the spark plug.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

you need to check if you have spark or fuel problems. When it won't start see if you have spark at the spark plug.
And if the plug is wet or dry.

bucknv19

Cadet

I don't believe it is a completely a fuel problem because I can look down inside the carb and see that fuel is being sprayed. Right now it is hard for me to check a lot of these things, because I live in Michigan and everything is still froze. I was wanting to get some ideas

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you using the proper starting procedures?

Here is a Copy & Paste from an owners manual.

Starting And Stopping The Engine

NOTE: Only perform those functions applicable to your power package.
1. Check all items listed in Operation Chart.
2. Place the remote control handle in NEUTRAL.

CAUTION
Overheating from insufficient cooling water will cause engine and drive system
damage. Ensure that there is sufficient water always available at water inlet holes
during operation.

WARNING
Explosive gasoline fumes collect in the engine compartment. Avoid injury or
property damage, operate the bilge blower for at least five minutes prior to starting
the engine. If the boat is not equipped with a bilge blower, open the engine hatch
and leave it open while starting the engine.

3. Push THROTTLE ONLY button and position throttle setting as follows:
a. COLD ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to full throttle, then return to about 1/4
throttle. In extreme cold it may be necessary to pump lever more than once.
b. WARM ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to 1/4 throttle position.
c. FLOODED ENGINE - Move control/throttle lever to full throttle. Be prepared to
decrease engine speed to 1000-1500 RPM as soon as engine starts.
IMPORTANT: Do not operate starter motor continuously for more than 30 seconds.
4. Turn ignition key to START. Release key when engine starts and allow switch to return
to ON position.

5. Operate engine for 1 or 2 minutes at fast IDLE (1000-1500 rpm) or until engine temperature
reaches 140-160 degrees F (60-71 degrees C).
6. Inspect the power package for fuel, oil, water and exhaust leaks.
7. To shift into gear, move control handle with a firm, quick motion forward to shift to FORWARD
gear, or backward to shift to REVERSE. After shifting drive unit, advance throttle
to desired setting.
8. Move the remote control handle to NEUTRAL/IDLE and allow the engine to slow to IDLE
speed. If engine has been operated at high speed for a long period of time, allow the
engine to cool at IDLE speed for 3 to 5 minutes.
9. Turn ignition key to the OFF position.