Timing on a 351 windsor mercruiser 77

waddell41

Recruit
I have no power what so ever on this motor. I just bought a formula Thunderbird 1977 and put a rebuilt carb, new fuel pump timing gears and chain and still have the same problem. When you give it throttle it bogs down.
I have set the timing at 10 degrees and still has no change.
I have tested all cylinders and they are all around 190 lbs.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Timing on a 351 windsor mercruiser 77

Fords had both BTDC and ATDC marks on the dampner. Make sure you are setting your timing at 10? BTDC.

waddell41

Recruit

I have the timing set at 10 degrees. The engine will idle great when you give it throttle it bogs out. This does have a distributor and points. What else would cause this problem?

waddell41

Recruit

Fords had both BTDC and ATDC marks on the dampner. Make sure you are setting your timing at 10? BTDC.

what is the BTDC? I placed the timing mark on the 10 degree mark is there more than one 10 degree mark on the dampner

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is the BTDC? I placed the timing mark on the 10 degree mark is there more than one 10 degree mark on the dampner

Didn't I already explain that?

B is Before, A is for After TDC (Top Dead Center)

haulnazz15

Captain

Definitely make sure you are 10-BTDC. I would probably start at the beginning by verifying TDC on the #1 (front left when looking at it) cylinder. Remember that when adjusting timing on the Ford, you have to turn the distributor clockwise to advance the timing, and vice-versa to retard the timing. Make sure your points gap and dwell are set properly in the distributor, and that the advance springs are doing their job. You might want to double-check your spark plug wiring order as well.