• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Can a dry exhaust be routed through the prop exhaust route

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a dry exhaust be routed through the prop exhaust route

Can a dry exhaust be routed through the prop exhaust routeAnyone go from a wet to a dry exhaust and still channel exhaust through OEM route versus thru hull? I was looking for at engine dB info

Anyone have a video or sound clip (from the engine compartment, NOT exhaust sound) of dry exhaust on a 5.7L with outdrive exhaust route.

I know people said it was louder but how loud? I hear big engines with dry exhaust and engines with hull thru exhaust but how loud is it on factory engine with just dry exhaust and OEM exhaust route?

Im looking for dB of in cabin noise, not asking about performance or open exhaust sounds......I guess im looking to save weight more than anything.

Thank you

Re: wet/dry exhaust opinions

I doubt you can dry exhaust on a Mercruiser, too much rubber in the exhaust path...

BTW, louder is not better.... Your fellow water users will thank you if you make it quieter...

Chris......
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

no looking for louder, thats why i want it to channel through the outdrive (underwater), im looking for better (path of least resistance) for the exhaust and im sure factory casting isnt the best flow for the exhaust.

I want to know the sound difference from the engine compartment. I should have made that a little more clear in the original post.

Comment

the factory casting is the best for performance AND component longevity. As Chris mentioned. too much rubber in the path to not have a wet exhaust.

what are your goals?
        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=500145
        1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
        Recent Boats
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Comment

Yeah, ok.. I've done some reading on dry vs wet... and it all says wet is the quieter. I know from both experience and anecdotal information that the performance difference between factory standard thru-prop and a clean out the back exhaust system (thru-hull if you like) is insignificant. I guess that's both ends of the spectrum you're looking at....

Interestingly the thru-prop has the advantage of using the vacuum behind the propeller to help 'pull' the exhaust gases out of the drive.... So if there was an advantage to be gained, my money would be on thru-prop... I don't believe there's much to be gained by 'smoothing out' the exhaust path....

Another interesting fact that may be considered... Lower resistance exhaust path may not be the path to more power. The correctly designed engine exhaust can increase power by increasing exhaust back-pressure just to the right amount... I had a friend once who had a Subaru engine in a VW combi van. He built the exhaust himself. 4" straight out the back. He complained that it used almost double the fuel of anyone else who had the same combination, without any power difference. I suggested he go back to a 2-1/4" exhaust, which he did. Same power, and his fuel consumption was back to being the same too...

Chris......

Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
          Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

im going to rebuild my engine this year and as i have it out i want to explore as many options as possible. As i gather info it sounds like the weight from all the cast iron is somewhat a little unnecessary. If some can be saved from changing to aluminum (exhaust manifold, intake manifold, heads) im sure a couple hundred can be saved and overall better performance, not just focused on the HP part of performance. I see wet has it +/- but im just learning as why and why not. Sounds was the original reason for the post but is sounds like the heat would be a factor in some components also.

Comment

Okay all makes sense, just didnt know if the same auto application applies to marine. I figured thru-prop would still apply back pressure. Power was a benefit but weight was also a factor. As cast aluminum wet exhaust manifolds are still $$$ i explored the option of dry manifold. I see dry hear and there but what are there reasons for certain application and if they could or shouldnt be applied to my idea.

My plans are not to build a high HP engine ( i wish....damn Alpha One limits), but to build a fresh engine and alter some equipment to save weight and gain some other benefits, but the question wasnt for HP benefits as much as it was for weight saving purposes.

Thank you all for the help understanding better about marine engine applications vs auto

Comment

If you want to explore the +/- of dry vs wet, just google search it... Plenty out there to read.

If you operate in sea water, forget aluminium. Fresh water you'll get away with it...

Without knowing the specifics of your boat we can't go anywhere with how much difference any weight saving will make. But even in a small boat (for a 5.7) a saving of 50% isn't going to gain you much. Better acceleration is about all. The best thing you can do for performance is work at the other end, propeller....

Chris......

Comment

google search didnt provide any in cabin sounds samples or talk about people who have info on it. Weight is minimal (understand) im looking to gain better plane at slow speeds, i already have new prop to try this spring. The goal to the search was for engine sound samples for dB differences between dry system using thru-prop route. I wasnt seeking or asking about performance or the sounds im seeking to achieve from a different exhaust option.

I was simply looking to get opinions on how loud the exhaust (at the engine not at the outdrive/muffler/hull thru opening) would be in the boat from dry to wet exhaust.

I was under the impression the wet exhaust was more for sound than cooling and if dry exhaust was ceramic coats or wrapped could solve the heat issue. I have learned heat maybe still an issue using the thru-prop route

I changed post heading to better reflect what info i was seeking

Comment

Originally posted by dearmosd View Post
                    google search didnt provide any in cabin sounds samples or talk about people who have info on it. Weight is minimal (understand) im looking to gain better plane at slow speeds, i already have new prop to try this spring. The goal to the search was for engine sound samples for dB differences between dry system using thru-prop route. I wasnt seeking or asking about performance or the sounds im seeking to achieve from a different exhaust option.

I was simply looking to get opinions on how loud the exhaust (at the engine not at the outdrive/muffler/hull thru opening) would be in the boat from dry to wet exhaust.

I was under the impression the wet exhaust was more for sound than cooling and if dry exhaust was ceramic coats or wrapped could solve the heat issue. I have learned heat maybe still an issue using the thru-prop route

I changed post heading to better reflect what info i was seeking
                    Ayuh,..... Unless you've got an open motorbox, ya can't run dry exhaust,...
                    It's done like with over-transom jet-boat exhaust... Not Thru-hulls...
                    'n even then, they run water injectors to cool the pipes abit, so's the chrome don't burn off...

Wet exhaust is 'bout Coolin', not noise...

With a full dry exhaust, the pipes will glow Red from heat, burnin' up yer boat...
                    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Re: Can a dry exhaust be routed through the prop exhaust route

It's actually a moot point. Even if you wanted to, you can't run a thru-prop exhaust dry.... The only way to reduce the exhaust noise in the engine bay it to add (more) sound proofing...

Chris....

Comment

i was thinking heat issues could be then explored with ceramic coating or header wrap or both, but as i keep asking it sounds like the wet exhaust is more for cooling purposes then noise. With heat issues more of a concern than noise and as i would like to keep thru-prop route (dont want open exhaust sound), my option is to look for cast aluminum wet exhaust which would solve the heat/noise but want to look further into weight differences.

Comment

I have standard ceramic coated iron manifolds and elbows..When I'm running the main noise components are induction and mechanical, not exhaust.... Like I said, more sound proofing.....

Comment

Originally posted by dearmosd View Post
                            i was thinking heat issues could be then explored with ceramic coating or header wrap or both, but as i keep asking it sounds like the wet exhaust is more for cooling purposes then noise. With heat issues more of a concern than noise and as i would like to keep thru-prop route (dont want open exhaust sound), my option is to look for cast aluminum wet exhaust which would solve the heat/noise but want to look further into weight differences.
                            Ayuh,... Unless it's an open air exhaust, coatin's, 'n wraps ain't gonna do a thing, but give ya slightly more time, before the boat bursts into flames...
                            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

so as i was getting al types of info from my thread i got a picture from a big engine setup.....now this is were i got my question, could a exhaust setup like this be connected to factory y-pipe then channel down to the prop. As i look at the pic i see a water plumbed to the exhaust, now i was under the impression that a wet set-up consisted of water flowing around the exhaust pipes, so it would the exhaust tubing inside a housing.

Now with my question i thought of something like this as an exhaust manifold. Now i question how does the water not fall into the exhaust ports on the heads......pressure?

So from the pic the water flows from the t-stat housing then to the bottom of the exhaust pipes and then pressure pushed the water/exhaust gases out through the rest of the setup (either thru-hull or possible thru-prop)

As i thought i knew a little more than i thought as people post i keep learning so please help me learn or clear up my thoughts on how a marine system works.Click image for larger version

Name:	d2db0497bf9cad0e15f79d31c2f99c4a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	158870

So i also question if this could hook up to a the y-pipe and go through the prop, would the temp still be to high that the rubber/plastic parts still be at risk?

Comment

Working...
                              X