94 model Bravo 1
Yellow dot position? up? Doesnt matter?
(no grease type)

Thanks
Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New no grease gimbal bearing

Doesn't matter. The yellow dot only indicates it's a Perma‑Lube type bearing.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

If I replace with permanant lubricated sealed gimble brg . What should you do about removing grease fitting ? Just plug and it in last ditch reinstall . I don't need to line up grease hole . Would greasing one on purchased boat push seals out or loosen/break bearing in housing from high pressure from grease gun and cause more damage? Or your bearing is already shot if you are adding grease to quite down .

Don S

This service bulletin explains the dot color, and how to install the Perma Lube bearings in older transom shields.

View attachment MC 09-13.pdf

Edit: Take note that the highlighted "important" note says the dot should be installed in the 10.00 o'clock position.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Speakrdude

Ensign

my Perma lube bearing (Quicksilver) came with the plug for the grease fitting

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Plug with new one answers my questions . Thanks for service bulletin .

airshot

Rear Admiral

Doesn't matter. The yellow dot only indicates it's a Perma‑Lube type bearing.

First off thanks for the service update. My curiosity wonders why the grease fitting must be removed? Just so no one tries to force grease into it or is there a mechanical reason? Thanks

Airshot

Don S

First off thanks for the service update. My curiosity wonders why the grease fitting must be removed? Just so no one tries to force grease into it or is there a mechanical reason? Thanks

Airshot

Ya know, Merc seldom tells us why they do what they do.
My guess is it prevents people from trying to force grease into something that can't be greased anymore.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

So we don't try the stupid things that ruin things . I don't forget the ones that required the o s__t after i have tried .

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

I too was looking for how to grease the gimbal bearing, since I can not find the grease fitting or the plug in the housing at all. In reading the service bulletin, if looks like the change to the prema lube bearing was made in 2009. My boat is a 2010 Tahoe Q7, 5.0L, 220 hp. Did they completely remove the hole where the grease fitting would have been in the housing? The manual says to grease it, but no fitting or plug.

I have a very strange noise and I can not find it. For lack of a better way to explain it, it sounds like a goose is stuck in there! It is not constant and seems to be towards the front of the engine, but thought it could be a bearing and that seems to be the only bearing that is/was serviceable. It seems to be noticeable only at idle, but that may be because engine overpowers the sound.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Exhaust flappers chattering on the top of the exhaust pipe. Normal.

Don S

dhildebrand, you need to start a new thread with your question. This thread is about Speakrdude's question.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

dhildebrand, you need to start a new thread with your question. This thread is about Speakrdude's question.

Don,

I understand about it being Speakerdudes question. I was wondering if it could be a gimbal bearing issue, that's all. Since I am new to boating (2nd yr), I figured it was a valid question since there was no info about it being a prema lube bearing. Sorry if I ruffled you feathers.