Morse side control for Merc 3.0

Jhzman49

Cadet
Have a question. I pull out the handle to put it in throttle only. I have to push it a 1/4 of the arc to get it to engage. Is there an adjustment I can do so it starts working earlier? I have looked at the back of the unit and the slot that the roller rides in to move the throttle forward has a big gap from where it starts to where it engages. Any help out there would be
appreciated. Boat 94 Regal 176SE Engine OF143158.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Morse side control for Merc 3.0

Impossible to say, way to many Morse side controls to say yes or no. A picture would help. But, fact is Teleflex bought out Morse many years ago. Might want to look and see if your control is in this link of manuals for the controls.

Dual Action Controls Manuals | Teleflex Marine

Personally, I would remove the control so you can see the workings, then operate it and see what is moving when to determine where the problem is.

Bondo

Staff member

Have a question. I pull out the handle to put it in throttle only. I have to push it a 1/4 of the arc to get it to engage. Is there an adjustment I can do so it starts working earlier? I have looked at the back of the unit and the slot that the roller rides in to move the throttle forward has a big gap from where it starts to where it engages. Any help out there would be
appreciated. Boat 94 Regal 176SE Engine OF143158.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Without that motion, before the throttle works is the space used for Shiftin'....

Jhzman49

Cadet

Don, thanks for the link. It did not have my "old style" control. I did take it off and checked the action of the levers and guide in the track. I am going to take it off again and see if there is an adjustment or setting to have it start to advance sooner than later in the arc of throw. I will add photos when I do this so everyone can see what I mean.

Don S

There won't be an adjustment, if the problem is the control, and not the cables, then something is broken or worn out.

Jhzman49

Cadet

morse control 001.jpgmorse control 002.jpgmorse control 003.jpgmorse control 004.jpgmorse control 005.jpg

First is neutral, second is pulled out for throttle only and that is where it starts. Third is WOT and fourth is 1st click in gear.
Last picture shows channel I was talking about. GO TO NEXT POST.

Jhzman49

Cadet

morse control 006.jpgmorse control 007.jpgmorse control 008.jpg
DThe three pictures show the channel in 1.neutral ...2. inThrottle only at point where the round guide wheel starts to activate throttle. 3 is a close-up of picture two.

If this is the way it works and no adjustment can be made then I will live with it. There are no known parts that are broken in the assembly. Maybe I should be looking at the other end of the cables? Tell me what you think and thanks for the input and help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm with Bondo. That 'gap' is where the control would 'normally' be shifting into gear... It's just an artifact of the fact that you are NOT shifting gear.... Maybe you should opt for a dual control setup... One lever for gear, the other for throttle.

Chris......

Don S

Mercruiser never used that type of control, they make their own.
Might try putting a Merc control on, they don't have that big gap.

Jhzman49

Cadet

Don, Regal book says that you would get either a Mercruiser control or a Morse control for 1994. Guess this boat got the lesser of the two.
Thanks all for the help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Don, Regal book says that you would get either a Mercruiser control or a Morse control for 1994. Guess this boat got the lesser of the two..

It's all about the money....

Bondo

Staff member

Originally Posted by Jhzman49
Don, Regal book says that you would get either a Mercruiser control or a Morse control for 1994. Guess this boat got the lesser of the two..

It's all about the money....

Ayuh,.... That's debatable,... Morse controls have been around Alot longer than Mercruiser has....

As I said before, there's gotta be the shadow slot left for shiftin'....

If the OP don't like that, I agree with Chris in post #8, buy a 2 stick controller...

Jhzman49

Cadet

Bond-o, you are correct that it is a shift slot. Just had to figure out the proper working of the thing. Everything is good in OZ. My timing was off a little and I was having trouble going at Idle speed. Again, Thanks to all for the replies.

va3jwk

Recruit
Morse shifter for Merc 165

Morse shifter for Merc 165

Hi All,
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum.
I have a 1990 Thompson with a 165 HP. The Morse shifter is a side mount, with tilt and trim. The actual shifter has seen better days. I am trying to find a replacement. I can get a UFlex B184M but it only has 3 wires. Can this be adapted to fit the old 5-wire application?

Cheers, Jim

Don S

Welcome aboard Jim
Best to start a new thread with your question instead of just jumping onto someone elses thread with your problem.
Please see the announcement just above the Post new thread button