Has anyone hooked a one wire alternator up to mercruiser 898?

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice
79 rinker rideau w/ mercruiser 898 - I ordered a new alternator because the old one was in bad shape and had no splash screen (3-wire). I have read mixed reviews on using one wire alternators. The the two wires excite it, crucial in some applications and not in others. So the only difference I see is a one-wire alternator turns on automatically at a higher rpm. Anyone know if I am safe to change to the one-wire? any personal experience with problems from this switch on this engine? Thanks!!!

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Has anyone hooked a one wire alternator up to mercruiser 898?

I dont know what the model of the old one is as its corroded, but the new one I have to put on is OBB model 7152N

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can use it, just be sure to dead end the other wires that hooked to the original alternator. Your 1 wire will only use the large wire of the 3.

If you wanted, you can also get that same alternator in the 3 wire setup. There is 2 wires on that black plug you have on the one you listed.

RinkerTinker

Seaman Apprentice

I had ordered the two-wire and it came broken so the replacement that was sent to me was the one-wire. I did not want to make a second return!! Thanks for the clarification!!