Filling oil from vent/level hole on the lowe rgear case

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice
Some people told me they fill the lube oil from the top level/vent hole. I do it from below with a pump, but what would the end result if you went the easy way & filled the lube oil from the top. Just wanted to know what the conquences would be. Thanks

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Filling oil from vent/level hole on the lowe rgear case

i suppose it depends on the drive mfg. specify yours if ya want an exact answer about your drive. for your typical mercruiser alpha 1 drive.
Just wanted to know what the conquences would be
lack of lub due to air being trapped inside the drive instead of gear lub. trashed gears or brgs. drive destruction.
if you went the easy way & filled the lube oil from the top
what's not easy about filling from the bottom drain plug? messy, but not hard.

Some people
hard to say about some people. ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There has NEVER been a Mercruiser outdrive that filled from the top. Always from the bottom.

Some people told me they fill the lube oil from the top level/vent hole.

Put them on a list of people to never listen to when doing your boat repair. Might want to watch their boats though, they probably don't last long.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Filling from the bottom IS the easy way. Doing it from the top takes almost forever, waiting for it to burp all the bubbles out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

This happens
44593f1f.jpg

surveyor1951

Seaman Apprentice

My boat is a Reinell with a Mercury Alpha 1 3.0L engine & Alpha 1 drive. I will continue filling the gear case from the bottom. So much for all those expert marine mechanic friends I have, they nearly had me convinced. Thanks for all the valuable info.