Water in starboard cylinders only. No water in oil. 5.7 Mercruiser (UPDATE-FIXED)

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water in starboard cylinders only. No water in oil. 5.7 Mercruiser

Ok so here is what I found. I looped the hoses on the tstat housing and pressurized the cooling system. Would not hold pressure. I could hear the pressure leaking on the starboard side with the plugs out. So I removed the manifold and can hear air coming out of atleast two cylinders. Looks like the head is either cracked or gasket failure. Either way they are coming off to inspect the pistons and cylinders to see if there is any damage. Also have to send them off to be checked. I am very familiar with SBC so it is not too bad. Any suggestions on brands of gaskets to go back with. I know victor makes a marine set but wanted some advice on a good set.

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

I was pulling the heads but the middle intake bolts are rusted pretty bad and have to bring a few toys from the shop to get them out.

Bondo

Staff member

Any suggestions on brands of gaskets to go back with. I know victor makes a marine set but wanted some advice on a good set.

Ayuh,.... Basically, I buy Fel-pro's,.... atleast all the gaskets they have for the applications....

For the manifold, riser gasket, ya can't beat the Merc metallic graphite sets...

All the others are Fel-pro's...

Somewhere 'round here, I've got their part #s for the 1 piece metallic graphite manifold to head gaskets,....

I'll look 'round... ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Somewhere 'round here, I've got their part #s for the 1 piece metallic graphite manifold to head gaskets,....

27-33395

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks I have the oem numbers for the manifolds and elbows. That's what I used when I pulled them last time. I seen a TSB for the gaskets and used the numbers. Fel-pro has always been a good choice. I have definitely had good success with them in the automotive industry. Thank you all for the knowledge and information.

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Ok got the heads off and definitely have a blown gasket on the starboard bank. Also seen water in the intake which lead me to inspect the fuel and yep water in the fuel. I don't have a water separator on the boat just the mercruiser screw on. Any recommendations for a screw on with a bowl. To my understanding you cant have a clear bowl with a inboard.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok got the heads off and definitely have a blown gasket on the starboard bank. Also seen water in the intake which lead me to inspect the fuel and yep water in the fuel. I don't have a water separator on the boat just the mercruiser screw on. Any recommendations for a screw on with a bowl. To my understanding you cant have a clear bowl with a inboard.

Ayuh,.... That is a water separatin' filter....

But ya gotta Change it when it fills up with Crud, just like any other filter....

once a year, is an absolute Minimum, more often if water is suspected,...

Inspectin' the contents of the take-off can determine how often ya oughta be lookin'...

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I replaced it in June of this year. I'm thinking when I got gas this last time it had water in it. Should I consider a bowl type. I have used raycor on my outboard setup with the bowl.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Empty the gas from your mercruser filter into a clear jar and look for water settling at the bottom.If you can see a separation you should clean out the tank.

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

I will do that. I have a electric fuel pump so emptying the tank won't be too bad if I have to.

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Well the heads are trash and have to replace them. Also the intake has a lot of aging that makes me worry. I am having a hard time finding a aluminum marine intake for 87-95 application. Eldelbrock makes a marine series for 85 and earlier as well as 96 and up vortec. Not a lot of luck with the one I need. Since I have to replace the heads anyways should I go to the vortec heads and what all is involved besides the intake?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

After all the work you've done so far now would be a good time to have the engine block pressure tested.Why put heads and intake on something that still may be cracked? GL,Ted

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

The old heads were not cracked but non workable due to the corrosion in the water passages. My guy at the machine shop said the gasket seat (fire ring) was too thin to try and mill the surface. I did get the short block out and also sent it to him. He magna fluxed and tested the block and all is ok there. This turned into a full build after all. I definitely was not gonna slap heads back on without checking the block after seeing the heads like they were.

Bondo

Staff member

Well the heads are trash and have to replace them. Also the intake has a lot of aging that makes me worry. I am having a hard time finding a aluminum marine intake for 87-95 application. Eldelbrock makes a marine series for 85 and earlier as well as 96 and up vortec. Not a lot of luck with the one I need. Since I have to replace the heads anyways should I go to the vortec heads and what all is involved besides the intake?

Ayuh,.... Check out Michigan Motors for cast iron intakes for what ya need...

If ya get into Saltwater, ya Don't want an Aluminum intake...

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Very true Bond-o. I want to make sure this is all done right so I don't have to worry when I'm on the water. I don't go in saltwater with it but the river is brackish and always flush it when I get hm. Now just have to get all my parts together. Thanks guys.

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Completely rebuilt with all new upper end from the heads to the carb. She runs like a dream again. Thank you for all the advice.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Completely rebuilt with all new upper end from the heads to the carb. She runs like a dream again. Thank you for all the advice.

Nice that you got it running perfect.

Just to clarify what you wrote: you had the bottom end completely rebuilt and bought new heads and carb?

Mark

tpenfield

Staff member

Nice. Probably good that you went for new cylinder heads, etc. I wished that I had done new heads with my 7.4L Mercruiser :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Ridewright79

Seaman Apprentice

Lol ok I had the block checked for cracks and inspected, replaced the rings and bearings in the bottom end, new cylinder heads, intake manifold, t-stat housing and some little items like plug wires and so forth. The carb was only about a year old and went through it. The distributor I replaced 6 months ago and had DUI build me a custom setup to the engine specs and boat configuration.