Smartcraft System Check Gauge Compatibility

jasdavis

Recruit
Hi
I have recently re-engined my old mercruiser to a new 3.0 MPI EC WPS model 4-1510P5U. I included a MercMonitor with the order and have added a few link gauges which all work ok with the exception of the System Check gauge (#79-879925K31), the one with the 7 indicators for various alarms, it doesn't appear to do anything even when the MercMonitor alarms with low fuel and beeps before engine start (low oil pressure I assume). I can't find anywhere any info on the compatiblity of this gauge with this engine, can anyone enlighten me on this one?

Cheers
Jas

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Smartcraft System Check Gauge Compatibility

Typically when you first turn the ignition key on before engine start, the alarm will sound as a self test telling you the system is functional.

On MPI engines you usually don't get a low oil alarm with key on engine off when everything is working correctly. The 3.0 MPI might be a little differently designd then the V 6 or 8 engines. Does the horn stay on till started or turn off within a few seconds at key up?

As you know your new system check gauge indicators for various alarms are, Check Engine, I-CAN Data, Fuel, Volt, Water Temp, Water PSI and Oil PSI.

I don't believe your going to get a low fuel warning alarm unless you put in a smartcraft type fuel sending unit like this one pictured on the right,

Fuel Tank Senders. Fuel Senders for boats. Marine Fuel Tank Sender units

One way to test the alarms would be to unhook some of the sensors while the engine was running to see if they sound.

To see if they are compatible, you may have to call mercruiser customer service direct with your engine serial number not your model number like posted above.
Contact Us | Mercury Marine

Let us know you're findings, Good luck.

jasdavis

Recruit
Re: Smartcraft System Check Gauge Compatibility

Many thanks for your response, I'll try those tests.

The warning horn sounds for a second then stops when turning ignition switch to the on position.

Cheers