Water poured out of lower unit then came the green gear oil!!!!!!!!

s.a.m

Cadet
OK..I'm going to service my Lower unit since i pulled out the out drive off the boat for the winter....i was going to change the gear oil and literally water poured out for a few seconds, then the gear oil came out and it was green.:facepalm:

So now i'm waiting for a part i ordered so i can do a pressure test on the lower unit, but in the meantime i pulled off the lower unit Seal Carrier Assembly...and the shaft was very loose, my question is this suppose to be that loose? does the Seal carrier keep it from moving around and the water from the water pump impeller? or do i need new bearings? would this be the reason why had tons of water in my lower unit?........Thank You 1991 Mercruiser Alpha1 GenII 3.0L

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water poured out of lower unit then came the green gear oil!!!!!!!!

Not sure I clearly uderstand your concern/ question

Are you referring to the lower unit bearing carrier? If so

WITH THE BEARING CARRIER IN PLACE--The prop shaft should not have any RUNOUT -- (Radial movement) but a little movement in and out along the shafts center axis is typically OK .

ONCE THE BEARING CARRIER IS REMOVED-- he shaft will have a lot of movement as the needle bearings in the carrier are what hold it on center.

Are you using a manual ? Its pretty much manadatory for these.

Friscoboater

Captain

Your lower unit needs to be resealed for sure.

s.a.m

Cadet

I'm referring to the Carrier seal on the drive shaft....It pops off the drive shaft under the water pump gasket. #18 on the pic .. Thanks Lower unit break down.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I think he`s referring to the drive shaft seal under the impeller.once removed the shaft will be loose because the way the gears are cut the shaft pushes up when in gear.

s.a.m

Cadet

Yes Bt Doctur.... Is that normal with that much play? how do i know if i need to replace the bearing? does that Carrier seal keep water out and the other seal further down? Thanks for the reply...