Gimbal bearing noise

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I just got back from the last trip on the water until next season and I'm pretty sure that the gimbal bearing is bad in my 3.0 Alpha one.
You can hear a rumbling sort of sound that resonates throughout the hull and it sounds like......well it sounds like a rough bearing in a car to me. The noise is pretty much throughout the RPM range and is constant when in or out of gear.
There are a few places in the RPM range that is kind of goes away or sometimes when making a turn, but it's almost always there.

Am I on the right track here? I'm new to boating, a pretty fair home mechanic, but not real sure about this.

Like I said, it sounds like a bad bearing to me, I'm just seeking a like confirmation here.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal bearing noise

Pull the outdrive and check it out. Pulling the drive is a 10 minute job, and should be done yearly.

maxum1800

Cadet

Hello Tinkerguy70 . Yes it sounds like the transum bearing. I also had one go and was able to replace it myself. Yes the outdrive does come off ,but takes more than 10 minutes just to get the tools out. I purchased the bearing and figured out how my slide hammer was going to grab it and slam it out. Then I had to look at the new bearing and make up an install tool that would aloow it to be tapped back into the same position,ask where you buy it to show you the index spot,as some are different. you will need to line that up to the grease delivery hole in the transom. I greased mine right away while watching for proper grease delivery. After all that you will need to replace the outdrive gaskets and install,while your aligning the shift linkage. If I remember right you need to put it in drive ,before removing out drive. Someone with you will help handle the whole unit off and on ,as it can be awkward and you dont want to drop it. Then check shifting is normal. I had it on and off about 3 times ,as I was by myself and had a little trouble. Maybe the guy that does it in 10 minutes can give you better pointers . Good luck

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Tinker, you should download the free manual for your engine and outdrive from the adults only section at the beginning of this forum. Then follow the proper procedure for removing the drive. Then you can put your hand on the bearing and see how it feels. Replace it if it seems rough. Removing the drive is a yearly ritual even if your gimbal bearing is perfect. With the drive off you can check the u-joint bellows, exhaust bellows and shift cable bellows. How long has it been since the impellar was changed? Now would be a good time to do it, if it has been more than two years. You should check alignment when the drive is off also, after the new gimbal bearing is installed.

Lots of good info. in the adults only section including winterization and yearly maintenance and how to do the things listed above.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone. I had planned on pulling the drive regardless, this boat has been setting for a few years and it's not got all of the 'new' parts that the PO claimed it had. Not that I believed him to begin with, but anyway I have decided to go ahead and check everything that was supposed to already have been done when it was parked.
The PO claimed that he had a 'boat mechanic' replace the bellows and change the final drive oil, I think I'll go ahead and do it myself just to make sure it was done.
Thanks again everyone, this site is great and full of good info!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The PO claimed that he had a 'boat mechanic' replace the bellows and change the final drive oil,

Never, Ever, believe a seller. All he wants to do is to make your money his.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never, Ever, believe a seller. All he wants to do is to make your money his.

Yes Don S. I'm well aware of that, lol...and you are 100% correct! Hence why I'm just going to pull the drive and have a look see for myself.
I bought the boat from my neighbor, I don't think he intentionally lied, I just think he doesn't understand all he knows about mechanical devices :) . Some of his "repair work" left us stranded in the middle of the river today until I got creative with a jumper wire I had in my tool bag.
I've got all winter to fix her up and I've got you guys to help me along!

Really this is a great bunch of people on here, I think the world could use a few more people like the ones on this board!