oil filter question

maxum1800

Cadet
Hello Guys, I have a question. I own a 2009 Maxum 1900 and have since new. I have had all the recommended maintenance performed by a authorized Mercruiser dealer. I,m cleaning it up and preparing it to go back to have it winterized and took a look at the oil and water separator filters and find them all black. I mean,painted black, like from the factory. I then looked on line and was trying to find mercruiser filters and see that they are white? . Does anyone know if the all black filters are from the factory new only? I do know that GM used to have these on the cars ,and you knew that they were'nt changed if they were all black. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if I find out that these filters have never been changed. Thanks for your time in getting some information back . Maxum1800...That was my old boat.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: oil filter question

Mercury are black; Quicksilver tend to be white--same product, different part number--usually by 1 letter.
If a white one really has the Mercury name and not Quicksilver, then I'm not sure why.

Mark

maxum1800

Cadet

Thanks Mark,After reading your message I returned and did find Mercury filters ,both fuel and oil and they where black,I did see that they have a red banner,of which I dont believe mine has,although the rotation could be just wrong so I could see it? Im hoping to drop it off and order the weatherization and recheck to make myself feel better that they in fact do change them out. Yes , I know, it sucks,I did mark the filters that are in there now. I feel bad about that,but I really got to know.Anyone out there ever get this wired? I will keep you posted,but thanks for the info.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are unsure about what they are doing.... do it yourself. You will know for sure if it has been done :)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Learn how to winterize your boat yourself. It's not very difficult, and will save you $300. Everything mechanical is documented on UTube.Com.

When I used to run Mercruisers, I always drained the engine block. I've never seen air freeze.

Fall is the best time of the year to do engine maintenance and have your engine ready for the Spring. Mercruisers use a pump that screws into the dipstick hole, and a few pumps suck the oil out of the crankcase. Easy as pie.

As far as filters go, you can go onto Fram.com and cross reference the part number for your oil filter. Even if you don't use Fram, it tells you the parts numbers for a few dozen different oil filters that will work for you. Going with a factory filter is just a waste of money--and filters are available at your local national auto parts store.

Water separator filters are a different animal. Depending on the quality of your fuel and the number of hours, it may or may not need replacing. And, they're very expensive filters at your local marine dealership. Check Amazon using the Mercury parts number. Sierra may have a comparable filter for far less.

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Seirra's can be had at iBoats, or NAPA. Just give your friendly counter man the Seirra part number and have him putit in as a NAPA number. The price is less than the chain marinas. Regards, Moose

matt167

Captain

Purolators site also has a filter cross reference that works very well.