temp and oil on new engine

sgwill122

Seaman Apprentice
Just installed a new 5.7 MPI indmar and am in the process of breaking it in. The temp and oil readings are different from my replaced 5.0L Carbed Merc and wanted to know if these new ranges are normal. The oil pressure is higher on the new engine and the temp is lower. I run a full closed cooling system and lake water is 56 degrees. This cooling system runs cooler than my last one as my risers do not get very warm(around 80 degrees), which I am sure is because I have additional water volume(the new engine has a raw water pump on the front in addition to the alpha drive water pump).

Temp gauge is around 145 degrees.
Oil is 50 at idle and about 70 at 3800 RPM.

I bought a temp gun and do see the temp gauge is reading accurately, temp swings maybe 5-10degrees from idle to 4000rpm. Heatexchanger is about 140, exhaust manifold 170, remote oil filter is 175 and engine next to the temp sensor is about 145 degrees.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: temp and oil on new engine

That all sounds normal to me. Oil pressure will be higher on a new engine because, oh, it's a new engine! Less clearances in the bearings, and new oil. Did you replace the thermostat with the new closed cooling system? If so, did it come with a new ECU? (It should have)

Chris.......