Adding Tilt/Trim Switch

joey nathan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything I read is for outboards.

I'd like to add a switch somewhere accessible by the stern after the cover is all snapped down on the boat.
Is there a kit for this designed for a sterndrive?

Or, do I have to buy a rocker switch/wire separately and just mount it wherever?

DSCN1745.jpg

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Re: Adding Tilt/Trim Switch

I put in an extra switch on the transom using a prewired connector/harness assembly and switch from Mercury. It was very easy. It would have been much more difficult trying to figure out which cable bundle to open up and guess which wires needed to be spliced into, especially leaning over into the cramped engine compartment. Well worth the $60, at least in my case.

Mine was part number 87-815200A02, depends on your year/model etc.

Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You would want the Mercruiser 87-815200A1 switch for your mid 90's boat.
It just plugs in at the trim pump harness, and is already water proof.

Untitled1.jpg

You could also wire in any SPDT Momentary switch you wanted. It's only the 3 wires that go from the throttle control to the trim pump you have to splice into.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Iboats sells the trim switch I have mounted on the transom of my sterndrive bowrider for $28.55 plus shipping. I have been delighted with mine; it is so incredibly handy.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I never understood "why" anybody needs this.

joey nathan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll give you a for instance Pete. Especially around this time of year - I want to drain the lower leg of water in case it gets too cold. So after trailering my boat back to the storage space I can lower and re-raise it after letting all the water out and not have to mess with the canvas cover. Convenient, eh?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would like one so when I get home I could lower it down without needing 2 people or making numerous trips from the helm to look.

LK

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I never understood "why" anybody needs this.

I think all stern drives should have this. I love mine. My boat is too tall on the trailer to reach the shifter switch from the ground and the cockpit cover makes getting in the boat a real pain.

I hear the Merc switch kit works perfectly (plug and play) with a VP drive too, can anyone confirm?