Advice on setting choke on Rochester 2GC carb

gpolkin

Cadet
I am rebuilding a Rochester 2GC carb off a 1977 Merc 140 hp. I cannot figure out how to reinstall the choke cover/coil assembly. Specifically I am wondering how much tension(rotations?) I need when I install.

Any help or resources you can provide would be appreciated.

Tks, Greg

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Advice on setting choke on Rochester 2GC carb

the choke setting for a 77 140 is the index mark.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Specifically I am wondering how much tension(rotations?) I need when I install.

Assuming you have the three screws/lock tabs and the black cover in hand, (and me going from memory:eek:);

Looking inside the choke housing (on the carb) you will see a tang attached to the choke shaft. Using your finger, lift the tang to fully open the choke butterfly. Now, look at the flat coil spring in the cover; the hook on the end of the spring fits BELOW the tang in the choke housing. Install the cover and three screws with tabs an lightly snug them. Rotate the cover until the index mark on the cover aligns with the center (largest) index mark on the housing.
Final adjustment of the choke should be done one index mark at the time and adjusted to your location and operating conditions.

gpolkin

Cadet

Thanks for the great description. I did it wrong the first time but just re-installed according your instructions.
Greg

Assuming you have the three screws/lock tabs and the black cover in hand, (and me going from memory:eek:);

Looking inside the choke housing (on the carb) you will see a tang attached to the choke shaft. Using your finger, lift the tang to fully open the choke butterfly. Now, look at the flat coil spring in the cover; the hook on the end of the spring fits BELOW the tang in the choke housing. Install the cover and three screws with tabs an lightly snug them. Rotate the cover until the index mark on the cover aligns with the center (largest) index mark on the housing.
Final adjustment of the choke should be done one index mark at the time and adjusted to your location and operating conditions.