Pre alpha lower unit on alpha outdrive?

blittle913

Cadet
Is this swap possible? The only differences Ive found are the spring pin on top of the vertical driveshaft (which Ive read wont be a problem) and the alpha lower unit has a bearing retainer nut I guess you would call it and the pre alpha doesnt appear to have one. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Pre alpha lower unit on alpha outdrive?

No such thing as a 'pre-alpha'.... However, an MC-1, R or MR gear housing will bolt straight up to an Alpha One drive-shaft housing....

Chris.........

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes an mc-1 or mr will bolt up to an alpha,i had to swap mine this summer,i was lucky to find a good working 1983 bottom,like y said it has the pin on top, i removed it,it bolted up nicely

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Is it neccessary or recommended to remove the pin?
I would think it should be left in place......

NO. . the pin stays put... do not remove it!!! The Alpha one will bolt up with the pin.

Bondo

Staff member

yes an mc-1 or mr will bolt up to an alpha,i had to swap mine this summer,i was lucky to find a good working 1983 bottom,like y said it has the pin on top, i removed it,it bolted up nicely

NO. . the pin stays put... do not remove it!!! The Alpha one will bolt up with the pin.

Ayuh,.... Unfortunately, now the top bearing in the lower unit is Not properly loaded...

That pin, preloads the bearing under the water pump...

FreeBeeTony

Captain

That's what I thhought.............

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The presents of the pin indicates it's either an MC-1 or an 'R'.... The 'MR' and Alpha One boxes have the bearing flipped up the other way and the loading of the bearing is generated by the movement of the gears in the gearbox. They try to push the pinion gear (and the drive-shaft attached to it) up. The bottom of the upper drive-shaft in all the top boxes are designed to work with a lower drive-shaft of either flavour. Regardless of what you put on top of it, if the lower box has a pin in the drive-shaft, LEAVE THE PIN IN! If you remove the pin, you will destroy the lower box, very quickly.....

Chris.......
(Yes, it's for pre-loading the bearing below the water pump. That's why it's called a 'pre-load pin'.....)

blittle913

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys!! Gonna get it bolted up tomorrow!