Mercathode

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,

As I was replacing my thermostat I've noticed that there are 3 wires to the right of the thermostat housing that are not hooked up to anything. Wires are red, brown and black or something like that and they have a white sticker that says "MERCATHODE" My question is where should they be hooked up? They are maybe 11 inches long and then they go into a plastic wire sheeting and mix with other wires.

Thank you

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Mercathode

Without a pic it's hard to tell, but those wires should be hooked up to a box that looks like this.
imagesqtbnANd9GcSFzrZU5UyCIYjwywCDc.jpg

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since your boat has a alpha drive the mercathode system was never installed.The engine was set up for either a bravo or alpha drive.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wasn't mercathode an option on alpha 1 gen 2?

ADRIAN B

Cadet

Do you need this system If you don't leave your boat in the water, it should have about 4-5 wires connected to it from memory

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the boat is kept on a trailer you do not really need it.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wasn't mercathode an option on alpha 1 gen 2?

Yes, you're correct, Mercathode is an option on Alpha drives, standard on Bravo drives. The good news is that if you decide to keep your boat moored in the lake for the season, then you seem to already be pre-wired to install it. Be aware that it does use a trickle of battery power for it to function, so if you don't run your boat very often, you could have a low or dead battery when you go to start it (I had to jump start mine after about 3 weeks of non-use. I use AGM batteries for starting and trolling. I'm sure it was a combination of bilge pump activity and the Mercathode system that contributed to it).

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might already be doing this but make sure you: monitor your anodes closely and have a spare set on hand ready to install.

I'm not familiar with the area(s) you boat or how corrosive the water might be but if you see them starting to deteriorate rapidly then that may be a clue some heavy activity is taking place.

Mark

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you want to install a Mercathode system, you will need this kit from Mercruiser. 98869A14

Untitled2.jpg

r.j.dawg

Ensign

If you keep your boat in the water at a marina all summer, and you have a stainless prop, I would recommend the Mercathode system Don has in the post above. You never know how much stray current is in the water and the dissimilar metals will accelerate corrosion. If you have an aluminum prop and keep the anodes up to date like MarkSee said you should have no problems and I wouldn't worry about the Mercathode. If you trailer, well, you definitely have no probs.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you need this system If you don't leave your boat in the water, it should have about 4-5 wires connected to it from memory

Hi,

My boat is in slip from beg of May to mid October. It would be nice to have it I guess

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, you're correct, Mercathode is an option on Alpha drives, standard on Bravo drives. The good news is that if you decide to keep your boat moored in the lake for the season, then you seem to already be pre-wired to install it. Be aware that it does use a trickle of battery power for it to function, so if you don't run your boat very often, you could have a low or dead battery when you go to start it (I had to jump start mine after about 3 weeks of non-use. I use AGM batteries for starting and trolling. I'm sure it was a combination of bilge pump activity and the Mercathode system that contributed to it).

Thank you for the info.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You might already be doing this but make sure you: monitor your anodes closely and have a spare set on hand ready to install.

I'm not familiar with the area(s) you boat or how corrosive the water might be but if you see them starting to deteriorate rapidly then that may be a clue some heavy activity is taking place.

Mark

Hello,
I've put new anodes this past June. After four months in water they're like new besides dirty.
Thank you for the info.

tomasz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you keep your boat in the water at a marina all summer, and you have a stainless prop, I would recommend the Mercathode system Don has in the post above. You never know how much stray current is in the water and the dissimilar metals will accelerate corrosion. If you have an aluminum prop and keep the anodes up to date like MarkSee said you should have no problems and I wouldn't worry about the Mercathode. If you trailer, well, you definitely have no probs.

Hi,
Yeah, boat is in the slip entire summer. Alu prop, maybe don't need to invest in mercathode system. I will see after this coming up summer.