Winterizing 5.7

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I was going to winterize the system through the stern drive intake with a bucket & earmuff contraption that I made years ago,.. but this year the earmuffs were not stored properly and would not form a good enough seal. SO!,.. Its supposed to get very cold tonight so I removed the thermostat housing on top of the engine and filled the block with antifreeze,.. then I removed both manifold hoses and poured a 1/2 gallon in each manifold. Is this sufficient ??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing 5.7

No, how do you fill something with antifreeze that is full of water already? You might have put in a few drop, but you didn't do anything worthwhile.

DRAIN The BLOCK and MANIFOLDS as mentioned in about 10 KaZillion previous posts.

Then, nothing will break.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

You might have put in a few drop, but you didn't do anything worthwhile.

Sorry,.. I didnt mention that I bled all the drains prior,.. so as a guage,.. what do you think the fluid capacity of the block,.. and manifolds would hold in gallons,... 3.5 -4.5 gallons ????

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

If you drain the block and remove water pump hose and drain exhaust leave out the plugs and probe holes with water. I have never had a drained dry block crack only those who filled them up with anti freeze. Make sure your outdrive oil is not milkey.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

just a bit over 3 gallons in a SBC. however also covered in the 10 KaZillion previous posts that Don mentions - air doesnt freeze

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer

just a bit over 3 gallons in a SBC.

..and after draining, thats exactly how much I put in,.. 3.5 gallons,... took 2-1/2 gal to fill the block,.. and the rest went in the manifolds.

john744

Seaman Apprentice

If I may ask, in a salt water use boat, is there any concern of internal corrosion while the block is exposed to air during the winter layup? Would anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors be of any significant benefit? Thanks

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

You flushed the salt water out of it just like you do "everytime" you pull it out of the water. Right?, So, no help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if your in a salt water boat without flushing, the manifolds will rust with or without air in about 5 years. 10 with flushing

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I may ask, in a salt water use boat, is there any concern of internal corrosion while the block is exposed to air during the winter layup? Would anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors be of any significant benefit? Thanks

I choose to keep AF in the block precisly for this reason. I don't actually know if its any better, but it "feels" safer. AF rarely hard freezes. It will become slushy, but slush won't crack a block. Just my opinion.

89sandman

Seaman

hey if you don't like the thread then don't waste our time with your dumb azz remarks about its been posted 10 million times before. keep your crappy posts to your all original threads...