Twin engine shut down problem

West32

Recruit
I have a 2001 Sportcraft 3150 with twin mercruiser 350 mag MPI bravo 1 drives. The issue I am having is that when I go to stop the engines, I turn the port key to off, and nothing happens. I turn the starboard key off and both engines stop. This happens in the opposite way as well. Turn the starboard key off, nothing happens, turn the port key off, both engines stop. I have the mercury smart craft system on the boat. I also have a tether switch that I have checked.

Any ideas where to start trouble shooting this. The previous owner said it did this since new.

I plan to use this boat on lake Michigan trolling for Salmon. We typically use one engine for trolling. I do not want to have to stop both engines to start one back up to troll.

let me know

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Twin engine shut down problem

Just a SWAG but I would start at any point the two ignition sources meet. First I would temporally disable the lanyard (kill switch) to isolate each ignition, failing that, any other ignition juncture.

Bondo

Staff member

Just a SWAG but I would start at any point the two ignition sources meet. First I would temporally disable the lanyard (kill switch) to isolate each ignition, failing that, any other ignition juncture.

Ayuh,... I agree, Isolate each ignition circuit,... they're cross talkin', 'n somehow common somewhere....

West32

Recruit

Ayuh,... I agree, Isolate each ignition circuit,... they're cross talkin', 'n somehow common somewhere....

Thanks guys

I was hoping for a simple "oh ya, just do this" I pulled apart the dash. The Kill switch as 2 wires going to it and t wires coming out. Each go to the key switches. I did notice something odd. There were 2 wires coming off each "I" terminal on the key switches. One Purple and one Blue wire. Not sure where the blue wire goes yet.....

I'll keep plugging.....

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member

Do you have a single kill switch/lanyard for the 2 engines?

If so, that's where they are probably jointed.

West32

Recruit

Do you have a single kill switch/lanyard for the 2 engines?

If so, that's where they are probably jointed.

That is what I was hoping. I am not sure of the configuration of the switch. There are 2 wires potted into the back of the switch and 2 wires coming out....

Bondo

Staff member

That is what I was hoping. I am not sure of the configuration of the switch. There are 2 wires potted into the back of the switch and 2 wires coming out....

Ayuh,.... Disconnect it, 'n try it...

It probably will need a jumper wire to by-pass it...