HELP!!!!!!!!!.....it will not fire off

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!.....it will not fire off

First thing I will doing is going through the value adjustment. I got to thinking, sometimes that gets me in trouble, but do you think it would hurt any to put a few squirts of marvels mystery oil in each cylinder? Thinking do this at least 2 hours before I turn engine over. In case of stuck rings is my thinking

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok , so yesterday I went out and adjusted values per Don's instructions. Tried to fire, same results. So i thought 180 out, then we got pophog thought the carb and whats. So we set it back at t d c on number one per the values and piston (screw driver through plug hole) lined up timing marks on balance with 0 . Changed distributor and cap same results, so we tried turning it 180 just to make sure, cranked on it for a min, popped through the exhaust, then a fire ball out the carb. . That when we walked away. . . Going back out in a bit to run compression. . . Yes we checked and re checked the firing order and all that after running the values. . . . . .this coat is about to get a name change . . .vendetta. . .

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

When you think your on#1 tdc rotate the crank slightly in eighter direction and back to o if the valves move as you come back to 0 your on the timing tab your on the #4 firing position as per merc manual for my 3.0 lx if this is not the case and in fact your in the right orientation for the #1 firing position make sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder which should get you in the ballpark for correct timing. Hope this helps!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A screwdriver in the plug hole only tells you if the piston is up or down, not if you are on TDC of the compression stroke or not. Thats where you FEEL for the compression as in the writeup. When you are at #1 TDC on the compression stroke, put the distributor in with the rotor pointing to where you want #1 plug wire to be. Then put the plug wires on (IN THE PROPER ROTATION Direction).
When cranking, you may have to turn the distributor a little one way or the other, don't make huge 1/4 turn changes.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I adjusted the value, when #1 intake started to open I put the remote starter button down, turned it over by hand and lined the notch on the pully/balancer up with 0 on the timing tab. Went through the adjustment as instructed here. Then we tried to start, tried the 180 deal and all that on Saturday. And ended with the fire ball out of the carb. '

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sunday, I went out, again when #1 intake starts to close, I turned engine over by hand lining up think marks at 0. Pull distributor and turn 180, marked cap and distributorboth for reference. Double checked rotation or rotor( clockwise) installed cap and wires in clockwise manner starting at 1 and going in firing order 1 3 4 2 . Tried to start again but same result but no popping through exhaust, and no fire ball.

Dad showed up almost dark with compression gauge so we ran another test they turned out to be a little lower then expected 60 55 65 60 . . . . Can't figure out why numbers went down.

Any ideas? Or ex we need to pull this motor and tear it down?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Im thinking you are still off on your valve lash adjustment. Way to tight.......

If it were me and just me... I would redo the adjustment per Don's instruction..but not go with extra turn on the nut at this time...Just go with snuging up the push rod so it doesn't turn.

Then try and start it....see what ya got. I bet your compresion numbers go up! If they are still low then you got problems.

Like i said...this is just me and what i would do...Others may greatly disagre..

Good luck!

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am awayI an currently away at work and should be good Friday morning. Once I get back home I will try that

Please keep ideas coming as I don't want to be thinking on this all winter long, nor do I want to have change it out again

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have any other suggestions? I am on the way home and play on putting the gloves on to see about winning this fight. Please any suggestions will be very useful

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Keep going back over what you done so far and stick to the basics go over everything twice. If it back fired you have to be close but only you can take it from there use the manual. Make sure your plug wires are in the correct sequence (do you have a timming light) turn it over make sure there all firing check each one with light connected to each wire while turning over is the cap in good order (NOT CRACKED) sooner or later you'll find it be persistant. The service manual will keep you pointed in the right direction while your troubleshooting. post back

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wwell Friday morning when I got home, I pulled the spark plugs out and put about a cup of marvels mystery oil in each cylinder. I planned on going back that afternoon but life and yard work ( clean and burn leaves) but during which wife have of an idea. . .when I went to burn the leaves, I put some gas I had pulled out of the boat, on the leaves. She was expecting a big whoosh and it all take off. Well it didn't. That got me to thinking. See my mower would not run either and it was on the same gas. So I pulled, the gas out of both. Went and got 5 gal of premium gas, put plugs back in, backed values off 3/4 turn. Tried to start and after playing with timing and carb I got it to fire off. I shut it down called dad over and we went through and adjusted the values with it running. . . Backed it off till it clicked them slowly turned it in till it stopped, then turned it in the 3/4 turn. Shut it down after all were adjusted cuz it started to rain.

So now I know my next step is ( this is just in case) to break the cam in. Told 15 -20 min @ 1500 rpm. This is after timing is set.

My question, once I put it on the lake to break. It in, do I Justin full bore or is there a certain procedure that needs to be followed? Please advise as do not want to in through this again