Newbie to winterization - engine alignment, gimbal bearing and coupler questions

ChapMike

Cadet
Purchased the boat back in 2010 and had the dealer winterize it the first year at 20 hours. They also pulled the outdrives, aligned the engines and greased the coupler and gimbal bearing. Last year at 47 hours all I did was a regular winterization that included fluid changes and general maintenance.

Now I have about 75 hours on the boat and need to decide if I should pull the outdrives and do the required maintenance. Looking through the manuals (I have the full set from Mercury) left me with some questions:

Gimbal Bearing

I do not see a zirk fitting on the side of the transom. Does this mean it is a sealed bearing? If so, I assume that I do not lubricate it. Correct??

Alignment

When doing an engine alignment, do you only adjust the from engine mount bolts?

Coupler

Since this boat is very tight and it is impossible to get to the coupler grease fittings from inside the boat without some major disassembly, is greasing the driveshaft sufficient to grease the coupler?

Hope some of you can help me with these questions. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newbie to winterization - engine alignment, gimbal bearing and coupler questions

Welcome to iboats, but you have reached a new low in information. Not even the type of boat. No year, not even the type of engine, or which drive, nothing.

ChapMike

Cadet
Re: Newbie to winterization - engine alignment, gimbal bearing and coupler questions

Welcome to iboats, but you have reached a new low in information. Not even the type of boat. No year, not even the type of engine, or which drive, nothing.

Sorry Don.... New to this and forgot.

2010 Chaparral 290 Signature Cruiser
Mercruiser 4.3 MPI Bravo III

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gimbal Bearing

I do not see a zirk fitting on the side of the transom. Does this mean it is a sealed bearing? If so, I assume that I do not lubricate it. Correct??

In 2008 or 09 Merc went to the sealed bearing and stopped putting the grease zirk in the gimbal housing

Alignment

When doing an engine alignment, do you only adjust the from engine mount bolts?

Yes, look in this link, there is a LOT of information about alignment, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Coupler

Since this boat is very tight and it is impossible to get to the coupler grease fittings from inside the boat without some major disassembly, is greasing the driveshaft sufficient to grease the coupler?

That will work fine. That us also how Volvo does theirs. No zirks on the coupler.