Alpha 1 gear oil smell like exhaust!

series60

Chief Petty Officer
Just dropped out this years gear oil (50+ hours) and found it smelling a lot like exhaust in addition to the normal stinky gear oil smell. It's black a coal. Where should I start looking? Drive coming off today to start looking. Pressure check will be done today after the oat (Outside Air Temp) comes up a bit. Fall has hit the CA. high desert.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Alpha 1 gear oil smell like exhaust!

Is it possible it wasn't filled all the way and the oil overheated?

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Is it possible it wasn't filled all the way and the oil overheated?

It was dribbling out top hole before draining so I have to assume it was full. Very little material on the magnetic bottom plug. After letting the oil settle in the glass jar, grey material started to settle to the bottom of the bottle. The grey stuff isn't magnetic so I'm thinking aluminum is waring somewhere inside the drive.

Bondo

Staff member

It was dribbling out top hole before draining so I have to assume it was full. Very little material on the magnetic bottom plug. After letting the oil settle in the glass jar, grey material started to settle to the bottom of the bottle. The grey stuff isn't magnetic so I'm thinking aluminum is waring somewhere inside the drive.

Ayuh,.... If it was Full of oil,.... I donno how you'd get Exhaust in, 'n the oil not run out,....

Is the grey, abit of water settlin' out,..??

With the cost of aftermarket replacement, Below that of fixin' what you've got,...

I'd probably top it off with fresh oil, 'n run 'er til she pukes....

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bond-o, I'll be pulling the drive today and storing it inside while I have the skeg welded on a bit. Spring time will install - fill - run her and keep a check on the oil.

Edit: after removing lower unit found quad ring leaking and big housing gasket was tore in two. Alignment was dead on. Been 50 hours since complete rebuild of engine mounts so I very pleased with results.