Gimbal Bearing Concerns

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my Bravo 1 outdrive off this past weekend to winterize (kind of funny sounding here in Galveston, TX), but more in preparation for engine removal and repower. In any case, everything came off pretty easily, I put it in forward gear, removed the trim cylinders, removed the speedo tube, the prop, and the 6 nuts. The outdrive pulled loose with just minimal effort and then I pulled the outdrive off and set it on my new outdrive stand that I built. Only 1 concern here, the gimbal bearing was still on the shaft?? It wasn't really stuck that hard on it, I basicall removed it from the shaft with my hands, should it have pulled out of my transom housing this easily and what concerns should I have here? The shaft did show some rust in between where it rides on the gimbal bearing and the splines, but I can't see any discernable leaks in the bellows. However I am changing them all out over the winter anyway. I'm just concerned about why the bearing came out so easily?

1993 Crownline 225 CCR - 7.4L/Bravo 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Gimbal Bearing Concerns

I'm just concerned about why the bearing came out so easily?

The bearing should have stayed in with the carrier and the drive shaft should just slide out of it. Maybe a new gimbal bearing should be on the list.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The gimbel bearing is driven into the housing, No it shouldn't have come out...

Have a close look at the housing for Wear, or other destruction...

Chad N

Cadet

Does it look like the bearing was spinning in the housing? I don't know of any spec. on what the diameter of the hole is supposed to be. Could have been bad enough to rattle out or possibly the wrong size was put in previously.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just a guess, but you probably had a lot of problems getting the drive off too, right? And there was probably water in the bellows. Usually rust causes the gimbal bearing to stick on the shaft.

mr 88

Commander

Did the bearing race come out with the bearing as well ?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I pulled my Bravo 1 outdrive off.....I put it in forward gear, removed the trim cylinders, removed the speedo tube, the prop, and the 6 nuts.

Bravo drives are normally left in neutral when removing the drive; it's the alpha drives that have to be in forward.
I'm not sure what if anything could have been damaged by removing it in forward but maybe one of the experts here can answer that for what maybe you should do before reinstalling.

Mark