Where's my power steering fluid going?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've got a '97 Mercruiser 5.7 with an Alpha 1. It has power steering which works fine. I have to add fluid after every outing. I've probably used about 3/4 quart in 3 outings.
I don't see any leaks around the pump, hoses, or fittings. I never see any oil in the bilge or any oil film in the water. I can't figure out where the leak is.
Do I have a power steering cooler? How do I test it? Is it hard to replace?

Thanks,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where's my power steering fluid going?

Yes you have a power steering cooler. Just follow the cooling water hose from the transom shield, it should go directly to the PS cooler first. When you find it, it has hoses going the the PS pump and the PS cylinder on the transom.

To test, remove from boat, empty the oil, block off one oil port, pressurize the other oil port with about 15-20 psi. Stick in a bucket of water and watch for bubbles.

KD4UPL

Well, I think I found my leak. After climbing inside by the engine and sticking my head way in the back it looks like one of the power steering hose clamps on the cooler was loose. I tightened, we'll see.
Now the next problem: While I was looking at the cooler I notice that it isn't attached to anything but the hoses. It has what must be a bracket attached to it with a hose clamp. The bracket isn't fastened to anything. I assume this is supposed to be bolted to the back of the engine block somehow.
It's a very difficult spot to see, much less work in. Where can I find a picture or diagram of where the bracket is supposed to be bolted on? Also, how many and what size bolts thread into the block? Knowing this ahead of time will make it much easier to reattach things.

Well, I think I found my leak. After climbing inside by the engine and sticking my head way in the back it looks like one of the power steering hose clamps on the cooler was loose. I tightened, we'll see.

??? If this was the source of the leak, you should have seen signs of the fluid all around there, and in the bilge.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I think I found my leak. After climbing inside by the engine and sticking my head way in the back it looks like one of the power steering hose clamps on the cooler was loose. .....

I don't see any leaks around the pump, hoses, or fittings. I never see any oil in the bilge or any oil film in the water. I can't figure out where the leak is.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Your two statements don't add up.

I agree with Don S., you're most likely pumping your oil overboard with the cooling water. Bet there's no rust in your engine block!

Just hydro the cooler to eliminate the obvious cause. :)

KD4UPL

I guess I overlooked the little bit of oil back there before. I practically have to stand on my head to see it. I guess I should say I hope that's the leak. There's isn't much oil there, a slight film near the fitting, that's it. It doesn't look like I was loosing enough oil there to account for what I had to put in the reservoir so I may still have a leak. It's kind of hard to tell at this point.
I guess I should pull the cooler and test it anyway. Especially since now I know the bracket isn't attached and I have to deal with that.