What do I need to run inboard out of boat

Davidmerc140

Cadet
hello I have posted tread about compression testing mercuiser 140 and finding low results 3681706 is the serial of engine with low compression I'ved taken valves apart and cleaned seats and valves hoping valves were letting compression by. Also ordered new head gasket ... again hoping this will be the problem . During the inspection and cleaning of head I purchased a mercruiser 120 similar year and would like to run compresion test out of boat on engine stand. any help guideline and instuctions will be appriciated Thanks

86 century

Ensign
Re: What do I need to run inboard out of boat

Get her tied down good
Make sure the flywheel and starter are in good working order

You need power to the large post on starter and a good solid ground
A wire running from the start terminal on starter to large post with momentary switch between the two
At this point she will crank over with the push of the button(no worries about the ignition system has no power so it doesn't care)

Oh yea make sure it has oil in it.

tpenfield

Staff member

You need to make temporary connections to the electrical, fuel and water supply to the engine.

As mentioned, you will want to have swtichable connections for the ignition and starter solenoid.

Additionally, you will want to have it well anchored, so it does not fly away.

Lots of youtube videos of running the engines out of the boat. Here is mine . . .

cr2k

Captain

If you plan on running for more then a minute you should hook up to water. Just testing compression water not needed