Alpha One Damage

96Chappy

Recruit
Hey guys just bought a 96 Chaparal 1930 SST and need some help on how to fix my outdrive lower unit. The guy i bought it from said he hit the boat ramp with the drive as he was pulling it out of the water. It does not leak oil or have additional stress cracks just snapped the fin off. I was looking at having a replacement Skag welded on but not sure if this can be done. Can Stainless steel be welded to Aluminum? I hope i dont have to replace the lower unit i have checked on these and a little pricy for me right now. I got the boat for $5k so i figured i couldnt go wrong. Still need to have it checked out but i test drove i ton the water and it rode great. It kind of grinds a little when i put it in gear but i heard that is normal, I hope....
100_6251.jpg

matt167

Captain
Re: Alpha One Damage

Skegs are repaired all the time.. Get someone to weld 1 of these on. I think it's the right one for your OD. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MerCrui...-Replacement-90185A1-/130722736051#vi-content Iboats may also sell them but I could not find them. Ebay popped up in a quick search. Local dealers/ shop you have weld it could also get them

I think a little grinding is ok, at the very least can be normal. but the general cure is to Shift it quicker. It uses dog clutches, and it's the shift dogs your hearing 'click'

96Chappy

Recruit

Oh thats good to hear. i will contact a local shop and hopefully they can take care of this for me.

Skegs are repaired all the time.. Get someone to weld 1 of these on. I think it's the right one for your OD. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MerCrui...-Replacement-90185A1-/130722736051#vi-content Iboats may also sell them but I could not find them. Ebay popped up in a quick search. Local dealers/ shop you have weld it could also get them

I think a little grinding is ok, at the very least can be normal. but the general cure is to Shift it quicker. It uses dog clutches, and it's the shift dogs your hearing 'click'

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Yup, Bob's got it. Get one of the replacement skegs and if you got a buddy that has a mig/tig setup you're done.;)

matt167

Captain

no wonder I couldn't find them. I was looking in the outdrive section. even a search for "mercruiser skeg" came up empty. I figured Iboats did have them, being such a common part in all

there are also those aluminum-propane brazing rods.. wonder if they would work?

r.j.dawg

Ensign

there are also those aluminum-propane brazing rods.. wonder if they would work?

I've never seen one of those used. If it were mine I would be more inclined to trust a welder that knows aluminum. Mig is good to about 16ga and tig can go down as far as beer cans. Not sure how thick the ones here on iboats are.

matt167

Captain

That's what I just found out. I checked the material composition, and it's Zinc alloy, so no good for marine. It would Almost be like attaching the skeg with a sacrificial anode . A small engine mechanic repaired a cooling for me with one, and he had it done in a couple mins.

thumpar

Admiral

A prop shop should be able to fix it up for you. My friend did the same thing at the ramp. Looked goods as new when the shop finished it.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Call a few local welders / welding shops. I found a guy here that builds aluminum rod racks, boat towers, etc... and he's easily able to do whatever I've run by him. A good shop can probably fill / build you a new one and grind it back to the original shape and likely won't charge you a fortune for the work. Just a thought...