Failed Heat exchanger Damage!!!

hamishmcduff

Cadet
2012-10-16_16-51-28_13.jpg2012-10-16_16-51-11_367.jpg

This is looking into the Thermostat housing.
Engine is 250ci 165 hp L6
The San Juan heat exchanger failed.
see this > http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=576899&highlight=coolant+replaced

I will have to purchase a new one in the spring, but what can be done to fix this mess?
There is sand and scaling in there!!!

I figure I could flush out the system a few times with some chemical additives, replace the water pump, all new H/E ofcourse.

I did a compression test and all cylinder were within 5 psi highest was 180.
I told myself I would not tear this engine out this year if the compression was good.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Failed Heat exchanger Damage!!!

You could just by-pass it for the sea water and use a small trans/PS cooler from the auto parts. One of the air cooled ones. Should get you by now that the weather is turning cooler.

hamishmcduff

Cadet

Boats already bundled up for the winter, it'll be atleast 7 months before it sees the water again.
I'm just looking to find a way to flush the system for now, but there is an awful lot of crap in there.
I have a chunk of exhaust flapper to replace so the elbow will be coming off the manifold, that should give me a moment to think about replacing more vital components.
Like I said earlier I don't want to have to pull this engine apart to hot tank it and clear the debris out of the cooling jackets.

Maclin

Admiral

I think air-cooled will not work even in cooler outside air temps. There is just not enough airflow inside the engine house, plus air cooling is not as efficient as liquid heat exchanger, and there will not be near enough cooling vane area available even if there was enough airflow in my opinion.