Mercruiser Steering 1993 7.4L/Bravo 1

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't take my boat out for about 3 weeks. Got it unloaded at the ramp started engine to warm up, and the steering was completely locked up. Reloaded boat, took home, removed the hyd. lines from the actuator and the steering cable pin. Outdrive still would not move. Removed the steering cable coupler and now the steering wheel would turn, however, outdrive still stuck. From what I've read from past postings this means that the cable stuck in the actuator? Overnight, the drive just released and now turns, but the actuator seems to have tons of slop in the valve area so I'm going to remove and replace. I see another pin that attached the actuator to the outdrive, what holds the actuator in place or is this it? Is it bolted to anything, it's very difficult to see behind the engine. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Steering 1993 7.4L/Bravo 1

I didn't take my boat out for about 3 weeks. Got it unloaded at the ramp started engine to warm up, and the steering was completely locked up. Reloaded boat, took home, removed the hyd. lines from the actuator and the steering cable pin. Outdrive still would not move. Removed the steering cable coupler and now the steering wheel would turn, however, outdrive still stuck. From what I've read from past postings this means that the cable stuck in the actuator? Overnight, the drive just released and now turns, but the actuator seems to have tons of slop in the valve area so I'm going to remove and replace. I see another pin that attached the actuator to the outdrive, what holds the actuator in place or is this it? Is it bolted to anything, it's very difficult to see behind the engine. Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Ya don't need an actuator, ya need to clean the cable, inside the aluminum tube...

That Slop, is the sensing valve...

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bond-o, is that slop normal or is that a sign of excessive wear? And yes Bt Doctur I was referring the large nut on the cable.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Bond-o, is that slop normal or is that a sign of excessive wear? And yes Bt Doctur I was referring the large nut on the cable.

Ayuh,... That little abit of motion, not runnin', is barely visible runnin' as the system senses the load, 'n helps...

Without it, it couldn't work...