Lower gear case tick in neutral

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While flushing my Mercruiser 228 / R out drive today I noticed an occasional clicking noise which seemed to be coming from the lower gear box. This is only the second time I've used the boat since buying it a few months ago and working on it since.The drive has just been off to replace shift shaft seals, bellows, water pump and lower shift cable, etc. the replacement of the latter obviously required readjusting the shift linkage in order to get it to do as its meant to; ie prop free spin in neutral and ratchet / lock in its respective directions. It shifts fine both on the stand and in the water (well, as fine as these old 'crash-shift' gear cases can be :).
Is it likely that the clutch dog, or other, is not totally clearing the gear set when neutral is selected and can be adjusted (this is kind of the noise it sounded like)
The prop wasn't spinning at all while this was happening, so if it is a binding of the gears it must only be by a gnats you-know-what. I'm a little hesitant to just rush into playing with the adjustment until I receive some advice since. Now it can be easily mucked up.

Thanks in advance.

Cresco750

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lower gear case tick in neutral

Any thoughts, before I have a play with the shift linkage?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Lower gear case tick in neutral

Any thoughts, before I have a play with the shift linkage?

Ayuh,.... Have at it, 'n Good Luck with it...

Lotsa Great info on that, 'n the rest of yer motor, 'n drive up in the Adults Only section, at the top of this forum,...

Lotsa "How To's"