Pulling my 350 for oil pan gasket

NHGuy

Captain
I am about to pull my motor to do the oil pan gasket. I'm also going to do the crank seal, the rear main seal and an oil change tube to the bottom plug. I have a set of rear motor mounts too.
The oil pan gasket is a single piece of silicon rubber from Mercruiser. I bought the flat stiffeners that go down the straight sides too. It looks like a simple bolt up, but I am looking for any pitfalls or wisdom from any of you that can keep me from making any first timer mistakes. I believe it is recommended to put some gasket sealer at the corners where the flat sections connect to the curved front and rear parts. Do any of you disagree or recommend differently? I want to do this once and correctly.
I have it all disconnected and I'm planning on pulling the engine in the morning.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pulling my 350 for oil pan gasket

What is your engines serial number. There is a big difference between an 88 or 89 engine, and an 89 boat could easily have an 88 engine.

Bondo

Staff member

What is your engines serial number. There is a big difference between an 88 or 89 engine, and an 89 boat could easily have an 88 engine.

Ayuh,.... Not sure where ya goin' on that, but I believe the rear main seal change was 86 - 87....

Pull the motor, 'n flip it up-side-down,...

Ya shouldn't need the dabs of silly-seal at the corners, but I doubt it'll hurt anything,...
Just little dabs though...

Don S

Well, I was going to give him information from the manual, which changes from 88 to 89 BTW, but since you believe the seal changed in 86 or 87, then forget about the serial number, guess it's not necessary.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rust and pinholes are a problem on boat oil pans.While you have it apart clean it and fill the pan with water and check for leaks

NHGuy

Captain

It's an 89 according to what I have found. The SN on the Merc plate is C315645, it has the block casting #14093638, and a block identifier V02238AB, the heads have the triangle identifiers.
Any how it's only 40 degrees outside so I'm going to give it an hour or so and then go out there.
As far as the silicon, the gasket looks as if it is an exact shape, so it doesn't surprise me that the silicon isn't essential.

Don S

It's an 88 by the serial number (model number 457S100AS).
You really wouldn't want to use the proper manual (#9) for installing the pan gasket, it only shows how to install the 4 piece pan gasket, not the one piece like you have.
In the next newer manual it shows putting a small spot of RTV sealer on the block at the intersections before you install the gasket.

Untitled5.jpg

NHGuy

Captain

Thanks, will use 88 info henceforth. I don't remember where I got that idea but it must be the HIN that got me there.
I'm happy to report that the pan is like new. Must be from the sweetwater no salt diet.
I got the front crank pulley, balancer, oil pan and front cover off tonight. Timing chain is good, very little play.
Should I get that little gasket that goes at the top of the rear main seal carrier? I think I will order it since it's cheap and I am already in there.