Another Winterizing Question!

waterdawg60

Cadet
So I've left things a little late again! I tried to run antifreeze through the motor (1997 350) and it doesn't seem to be going through the block, not sure though. lots of pink stuff flying out the prop but still clear water coming out the exhaust behind the stern drive. Does the motor have to be in gear for the impellar to suck water? I just thought you ran it through the muffs and all good. Perhaps I need to run more through but did put 20 litres though it so far. Any thoughts? I actually have to put a pump in line to get any stuff through as just the muffs alone dont seem to get it in the motor (have that issue every year). I just replace the impellar last year so dont think its that. Thanks for any help!!!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Another Winterizing Question!

If you are using antifreeze,you need to drain the block,manifolds,oil coolers.Same as if you just drain and leave it with no antifreeze.If you don't drain it,all you are doing is diluting any antifreeze you put in. It will freeze!
You are probably getting water out yet as it was still full of water.
Grub
A 350 should only take 4-5 gallons to run through the entire system 5gallons is about 19 liters I think?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

So I've left things a little late again! I tried to run antifreeze through the motor (1997 350) and it doesn't seem to be going through the block, not sure though. lots of pink stuff flying out the prop but still clear water coming out the exhaust behind the stern drive. Does the motor have to be in gear for the impellar to suck water? I just thought you ran it through the muffs and all good. Perhaps I need to run more through but did put 20 litres though it so far. Any thoughts? I actually have to put a pump in line to get any stuff through as just the muffs alone dont seem to get it in the motor (have that issue every year). I just replace the impellar last year so dont think its that. Thanks for any help!!!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Which 350 from '97, 'n what drive is it hooked too,..??

waterdawg60

Cadet

Thanks Guys! Its a 350 chev 2 barrel with a alpha 1 drive. I did drain the manifolds but nothing else before starting. I thought that all you had to do was run the antifreeze through it. I use -50 C rated stuff but why bother doing that if you have to drain the whole thing. I guess I'll just pour it through the thermostat access (thermostat is removed). My boats a real pain to get at the block drains, not a great design!!!! Is there a way to blow the water out with air?

ziggy

Admiral

first off, what i don't have a 350, but i believe what i have to say will apply to any marine engine. to be safe for winter, ya absolutely have to drain all the water out of the cooling system.
My boats a real pain to get at the block drains, not a great design!!!!
then figure out what ya gotta do to get to them. boats ain't great design inherently. a totally enclosed engine compartment. some are easier than others to get to bits and pieces. yours sounds hard. ya still gotta deal with it.
I use -50 C rated stuff but why bother doing that if you have to drain the whole thing.
exactly. ya don't. as bondo would say, air don't freeze. ya do the anti freeze thing for corrosion protection imho.
I guess I'll just pour it through the thermostat access (thermostat is removed).
if yer gonna use anti freeze. yep, that's generally where to introduce too. after the cooling system is drained of water. then put your t stat back where ya found it. any engine needs it's t stat to operate proper.
Is there a way to blow the water out with air?
i've no idea on your engine. but imho, any shortcut is leading to a possibility of future problems.... good luck...

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks Guys! Its a 350 chev 2 barrel with a alpha 1 drive. I did drain the manifolds but nothing else before starting. I thought that all you had to do was run the antifreeze through it. I use -50 C rated stuff but why bother doing that if you have to drain the whole thing. I guess I'll just pour it through the thermostat access (thermostat is removed). My boats a real pain to get at the block drains, not a great design!!!! Is there a way to blow the water out with air?

Ayuh,.... Ya got to the manifold drains,..??

So,... The block drains are only 'bout 8" lower, down under the manifold drains, on the bottom of the block, above the oil pan....

No, there's no easy way to blow 'em out, as gravity does the job, by itself, so long as ya poke the crud outa the holes with a screw or nail...

What you describe above is almost a Guarantee that you'll be buyin' a new motor next spring...

If ya Drain everything, ya don't need antifreeze,...
If ya Don't drain everything, antifreeze is NOT gonna work....

For yer particular motor,...
Drain the 2 manifold drains,...
Drain the 2 block drains,...
Pull the Big hose off the circulatin' water pump,...
'n drain the P/S cooler...

If access is as bad as ya say,...
The ONLY spot that can be cheated, is the P/S cooler,...
To dope it up, if ya can't get to it, to pull a water hose off it...
Pull the in-comin' water line from the drive, at the t-stat housing, 'n pour straight antifreeze down that line til ya see atleast a quart on the ground, under the drive...
That way, the P/S cooler will have a strong enough antifreeze to not burst....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drain the block and manifolds before putting the antifreeze in or you will be posting another thread in the spring

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, make sure to get the nail or coathanger to poke through the scale after you have the petcocks out of the block. You will get fast flowing water, over a gallon on each side.
I screwed this up last year and almost killed my block, cost me a week of vacation and hundreds of dollars.

waterdawg60

Cadet

Thanks guys! I took the block drains out last year but here`s what I had to do......... First I got a bore camera to see the actual drains then I taped the wrench on a 18" pipe, while looking through the camera I was able to get the wrench on the bolts and loosen them. Keep in mind that everything I see is backwards.....lol. Now that the bolt is out it drops down into the bottom under the oil pan never to be seen again!!!! Putting them back in was easier as I had removed the manifolds to replace the gaskets in spring. But I guess it`s better than a block!!!

waterdawg60

Cadet

I think I'll do some cutting in the spring if the boat doesn't sell so I have access to the block drains. I cannot believe someone actually built a boat like this!!!! I have to get a guy with really small arms to reach the oil filter every year also.......lol. Christ even the spark plugs are a real pain in the ***!!! Anyone wanna buy a boat......:rolleyes:!

ziggy

Admiral

I think I'll do some cutting in the spring if the boat doesn't sell so I have access to the block drains. I cannot believe someone actually built a boat like this!!!! I have to get a guy with really small arms to reach the oil filter every year also.......lol. Christ even the spark plugs are a real pain in the ***!!! Anyone wanna buy a boat......:rolleyes:!
your engine access does sound like a bad bummer. not a bad idea to sell for that reason alone imho. engine access for service was one thing i looked at when i was buying. now ya know one more thing to look at when you replace what ya got. good luck in your sale...

waterdawg60

Cadet

Yes I screwed up!!! Other than the access issues it has been a great boat for the big lake. I meant to cut out some of the floor but then decided to sell. I have a deck boat that I was going to rebuild in the spring as the floor is gone. This boat stuff is keeping me busy!!! Just got done redoin the duck boat last week. Thanks again for all the help!