Frozen Hydraulic Line for Trim / Lift Cylinder

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,

I have a leaky fitting on the left trim ram. I've tried tightening it up, and it wouldn't move. Tried removing it, and actually warped a line wrench.

As far as I can tell I can:

1- Remove and purchase new one and new line.

2- Buy the outer (shell) section of the ram only perhaps? And re-install the internals into the new ram. Purchase new "hose line" and re-install. I thought I had seen the housing only for sale somewhere in some searches...

3- Can I heat up the ram (after draining the oil?) around the fitting and try to force the fitting out? Then re-drill / tap for a new fitting? Possibly saving me a few hundred $?

Sorry if my typing out my ideas is confusing :facepalm:

Thanks Guys,
beerchug.gif
~ JR

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Frozen Hydraulic Line for Trim / Lift Cylinder

Hey Guys,

I have a leaky fitting on the left trim ram. I've tried tightening it up, and it wouldn't move. Tried removing it, and actually warped a line wrench.

As far as I can tell I can:

1- Remove and purchase new one and new line.

2- Buy the outer (shell) section of the ram only perhaps? And re-install the internals into the new ram. Purchase new "hose line" and re-install. I thought I had seen the housing only for sale somewhere in some searches...

3- Can I heat up the ram (after draining the oil?) around the fitting and try to force the fitting out? Then re-drill / tap for a new fitting? Possibly saving me a few hundred $?

Sorry if my typing out my ideas is confusing :facepalm:

Thanks Guys,
View attachment 172298
~ JR

Ayuh,... Yer best options are #1, or #2,.... #3 probably won't work, 'n ya can't retap the hole, it's an inverted flare fitting...

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Yer best options are #1, or #2,.... #3 probably won't work, 'n ya can't retap the hole, it's an inverted flare fitting...

Thanks! I am thinking the same, just wondering if I was wrong...

Thanks for the link! Nice find!

gear79

Cadet

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

I'll give something like those a try... I'm used to frozen bolts from working on my 74 Jeep CJ5. I can get aggressive... But this thing was REALLY stuck on...

It's been a month or so since fooling with it though, I'll see about some alternative ideas next time I fool with it.

The link above for these lift rams (trim rams) is different than what I have. Will they still work for me? If they are the right length compressed and extended, and the eye hole is same diameter?
$(KGrHqZ,!iYFBDsHDg0PBQf3N5b-Lg~~60_57.JPG

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bud!

I appreciate your help on this! I know I was vague, I apologize.

I'll keep my eyes on e-bay for a good deal for the winter, and hopefully have this fixed for next summer.

Thanks again guys!
~ JR

RRitt

Captain

so ... the fitting just started magically leaking one afternoon?

there is probably a reason for the leak. before you spend too much money on repairs I think you should try to figure out why it was leaking. There is a really good chance that the ram housing might have damage. You can repair the housing threads but it is difficult. If there is room, drill out the hole to a 1/8" tapered pipe thread using a flat bottom tap make threads to bottom of hole. Install a MPT to IFF brass adapter using JB weld or thread compound to seal it into place.

if you think the threads are still okay and have a spare line then hacksaw the line about 1/8" above the tube nut and use a six sided socket. wd40 and other rust penetrators won't do anything. you need to get something made for aluminum. lacking that vinegar or some other super mild acid to east away at the aluminum oxide.

GL. If it was me I would probably toss it in the trash and look for a used system out of michigan. external fluid leaks rarely have a happy ending.

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

so ... the fitting just started magically leaking one afternoon?

No Sir/Ma'am (sorry not sure)... It's been leaking slightly since I first got it from my grandfather... It got worse gradually since.

there is probably a reason for the leak. before you spend too much money on repairs I think you should try to figure out why it was leaking. There is a really good chance that the ram housing might have damage. You can repair the housing threads but it is difficult. If there is room, drill out the hole to a 1/8" tapered pipe thread using a flat bottom tap make threads to bottom of hole. Install a MPT to IFF brass adapter using JB weld or thread compound to seal it into place.

if you think the threads are still okay and have a spare line then hacksaw the line about 1/8" above the tube nut and use a six sided socket. wd40 and other rust penetrators won't do anything. you need to get something made for aluminum. lacking that vinegar or some other super mild acid to east away at the aluminum oxide.

Great ideas. Thanks!

GL. If it was me I would probably toss it in the trash and look for a used system out of michigan. external fluid leaks rarely have a happy ending.

I'm about there... Would love to take it out over winter here fishing, but not willing to dump all that oil into the river everytime i try to launch / take out the boat (operate the lift lower controls). So most likely I'll be looking for replacements. Just wondering if anyone had some brighter ideas for me is all.

Thanks
~ Jr