Interchangeable trim motor?

Westgunn

Cadet
Just wondering if anyone knows off hand or has any experience with this. Can the 88183A12 replace the 88183A11 trim motor?

I have the 88183A11 that sits on top of a metal reservoir. I've done several checks after doing some research here and some other resources online. Tried to jump the solenoids, checked my grounds, scrubbed the connections... still getting clicks only from the down and trailer trim switches and nothing from the up switch at all. Thinking the trim motor is bad, but I haven't exactly figured out how to eliminate wiring or trim limiter as possibilities either.

I've found a salvage yard that quoted me $100 for a replacement motor, with a core exchange. But I've found the A12 online for $85 brand new shipped right to my front door. Is it too good to be true?

It's a mercruiser 260 horse Alpha One stern drive, 1986 model. I've gotten hold of a wiring diagram and it looks like I'm missing a wire...red/purple (I think) from the switch to the trim motor. Just found that about half an hour ago. Looks as if the fuse had been completely wired around, which also makes me think the trim motor is probably fried. If I can pick up a brand new pump motor for under a hondo while rewiring the whole thing, I figure why not? If it's a no go, I'll do the full rewire and then buy the more expensive pump if necessary.

Also, one of the local marine shops quoted me $850 for a replacement motor/reservoir. So I got a little excited when I saw the price of the A12 online.

Hope this isn't a dumb question....still learning.

Westgunn

Cadet
Re: Interchangeable trim motor?

See if maybe I can add a pic for reference:

Trim Assembly with the 88183A11:

TrimAssembly_zps1b2b38ec.jpg

Westgunn

Cadet

This is the 88183A12:

NewTrimMotor_zps05420feb.jpg

What do you guys think? Maybe their interchangeable?

Bondo

Staff member

I have the 88183A11 that sits on top of a metal reservoir. I've done several checks after doing some research here and some other resources online. Tried to jump the solenoids, checked my grounds, scrubbed the connections... still getting clicks only from the down and trailer trim switches and nothing from the up switch at all. Thinking the trim motor is bad, but I haven't exactly figured out how to eliminate wiring or trim limiter as possibilities either.

Ayuh,... Just jumper Power to the blue/ up wire, or the green/ down wire, makin' Sure the black wire is solidly grounded...

No idea if yer part numbers interchange,...
My thought is, if they Did, the listing would say so....

Westgunn

Cadet

Yeah, you're right Bond...a little more reading lead me to reference of an adapter kit. This little guy:

MEST187KM.jpg

So I placed an order for the above pump and the adapter kit. It'll be a few days for the parts to arrive, but I'll update this thread with results...just in case anyone else runs into same dilemma in the future.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Just so ya know, SEI sells trim pumps that are the same as the current issue Merc/ Volvos use...
The plastic tank style,...

Though I believe they run 'bout $300...

Westgunn

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Just so ya know, SEI sells trim pumps that are the same as the current issue Merc/ Volvos use...
The plastic tank style,...

Though I believe they run 'bout $300...

Yeah, I've seen it. Trying to save some money. If this route doesn't work, may wait till the spring and buy the whole set up. Found the bracket, pump, motor, reservoir, solenoids, and wires all together for $299. Hope I can keep repairs under a hundred bucks, though. Well see.

I did hook the motor directly up to a battery and got nothing. I'm taking this as proof positive that the motor is completely dead.

Thanks for your help, Bond. I appreciate it. Hoping parts are in by tomorrow.

Westgunn

Cadet

Just to update, in case anyone does need to know in the future, part 88183A12 did fit and I have been able to get it to operate the trim on the boat. I haven't made it to the water yet for a test run, so that is tentative.

The above adapter was not totally necessary. It functions as a spacer between the solenoid mount plate and the motor assembly, because the replacement motor is about 3/8 of an inch wider than the original square body. It cost $8.95 plus another $12.50 to ship, but I'm thinking a nut or a stack of washers could have accomplished the same thing. I did have to buy a longer bolt for the ground wire as the original was too short to make it all the way through.

So just to recap, don't pay the $750-$850 for an OEM replacement from Mercruiser. And don't let a salvage yard charge you $100 plus core trade, either.

I'm not completely done tinkering. It's all re-installed, but my up switch isn't working. I have a faulty ground and I believe one solenoid needs to be replaced. I can trim down just fine, and the trailer switch works to raise the trim right now. Solenoid is on order and hopefully I'll be back to 100% functionality once installed.

Side note: I took the motor housing cap off the original motor. Looks like corrosion to the magnets was the culprit for the seized motor. If I had more knowledge about the electromagnetic motor, I might have been able to save further on this problem by cleaning it up. Not sure about that, but I may dive into it if I have the time just to have a back up OEM part. May even take it to a starter/alternator repair shop if need be. Just a thought.

I'm not totally cheap, by the way, lol. Just with what the expense can be on repairing these old boats, I figure I should try as hard as possible to save a buck or two (or several hundred) any place I can as long as it doesn't mean sacrificing reliability. Never know what's going to break tomorrow!!

grieck

Recruit
Where did you find that adapter kit? I know you said it just acts as a spacer so maybe it isn't necessary I'm looking to do the same as you. My question is "Are you able to mount the solenoid bracket to the top of the new motor? I don't see any mounting bolts on the top of the new pump. Thanks for your help.

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome.
I think the part number is MEST187KM. You might want to start a new thread if you have any other questions.