Spark plug wire diagram 5.7 Merc

Rafael green

Cadet
Hello I was replacing the wires on my 1995 mercrusier 5.7 and I think I may have placed one in the wrong spot on the disturbutor my firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 does any one have a diagram on where the wires go from each plug to the distrubutor.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
R Green

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark plug wire diagram 5.7 Merc

The first thing you have to do if find out where the rotor is pointing when the engine is at #1 TDC on the Compression stroke. You find that out like this. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427081
Then you put #1 plug wire on the terminal of the cap that is just above the rotor. Then you put the plug wires in order going clockwise around the cap using the firing order.

This is how it should look if your distributor is installed per the manual.

Firing order.jpg

Rafael green

Cadet

Thanks Don I will check out this weekend and I will post and let you know how I do.
Thanks Ray Green

tpenfield

Staff member

Everything should be marked on the components of the engine to guide you.

Look for markings on the distributor cap and also markings on the intake manifold

As shown in Don's diagram 1-3-5-7 are on the port side and 2-4-6-8 are on the starboard side.

It is something that you want to get right the first time.

Rafael green

Cadet

Just Wanted to say thanks for the help I was able to fix my mixup I swap #3 and #5 and now she running smooth.
Thanks again Rafael

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

I remember looking forward to my driver's license and Dad getting my brother and I started on maintaining the cars. One of the first things he said was "one at a time." That applied to a lot of stuff, but especially spark plugs and plug wires.

John