Starter removal 1978 mercruiser

wags32

Recruit
Have a 1978 mercruiser 165 model mcm 165 has a Delco Remy starter that I can't seem to gret free. I found and removed the long bolt underneath towards the back of the starter, as well as the obvious bracket mount to the engine block. I can pull the starter a little ways from the engine block then it hangs up. I'm afraid to force it any further. Am I missing a bolt or is their a trick to this. I have the mercruiser service manual and of course it has pictures of the mounting bolts for the other two starters used on this engine, but not mine.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter removal 1978 mercruiser

Have a 1978 mercruiser 165 model mcm 165 has a Delco Remy starter that I can't seem to gret free. I found and removed the long bolt underneath towards the back of the starter, as well as the obvious bracket mount to the engine block. I can pull the starter a little ways from the engine block then it hangs up. I'm afraid to force it any further. Am I missing a bolt or is their a trick to this. I have the mercruiser service manual and of course it has pictures of the mounting bolts for the other two starters used on this engine, but not mine.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... There should be another bolt, like that bolt, within' 4" of that 1,...

More than likely, 'bout 4" closer to the crankshaft...

is this an 6 cylinder, or 4,..??

wags32

Recruit

I6. I figured there must be another bolt,but I have felt all over underneath and can not find it. The bolt I removed was close to the flywheel housing towards the front of the boat. Then the "nose" of the starter sticks out the other side towards the back of the boat.

wags32

Recruit

Let me clarify the above post. The bolt I removed is towards the business end of the starter and located towards the front of the boat right before about a half inch flange with nuts and bolts that runs along the entrie backside of the engine. The nose or businees end of the starter stcks through this and thats where it engages the flywheel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are 2 bolts that come up from the bottom, and the bracket on the front of the starter.

Starter.jpg

wags32

Recruit

From the diagram it looks like I found the long bolt number 2. I'll search again for number 3 in the morning. Wife tells me it's time to stop playing boat mechanic for the night. I told her not to insult boat mechanics by mentioning my name in the same sentence as them. Thanks for your help and quick responses. Hopefully I'll post success in the morning.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's a pic I took of my inline six... it shows the outside bolt... the other one you find by feel.

DSCF8577.jpg

wags32

Recruit

Thanks found it. believe it or not it was the outside bolt in your pic I could not find I found the long one underneath with no problem. Thanks to Don S. also. Turns out the nose cone on the starter was cracked pretty bad, been told that is an indication of the solenoid malfunctioning. Guees I'm lucky to just be replacing the starter and that it didn't break apart into the flywheel.

Is there anything else I should be concerned with, now knowing the starter was cracked?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Turns out the nose cone on the starter was cracked pretty bad, been told that is an indication of the solenoid malfunctioning.

:confused: How could a malfunctioning solenoid cause the nose cone to crack?