Removal of 5.7

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removal of 5.7

I decided to change the lower shift cable. I'm going to order one as soon as a little spare cash comes along. The manual says to get that tool for removing that nut on the outside of the gimble housing. Is this nessesary, or is there another way of getting that nut off?

That special socket can be made by welding a short socket on the ratchet end of a deepwell 9/16 socket.
It's also a good idea to get a new OEM cable. The inner core wire is teflon coated, and they just last longer and move smoother than any aftermarket cable. For just a few dollars more.

Oh, and you don't need that special long socket either. Just unscrew the white cable end from the OEM cable and a regular deepwell socket works fine.

Bondo

Staff member

That special socket can be made by welding a short socket on the ratchet end of a deepwell 9/16 socket.
It's also a good idea to get a new OEM cable. The inner core wire is teflon coated, and they just last longer and move smoother than any aftermarket cable. For just a few dollars more.

Oh, and you don't need that special long socket either. Just unscrew the white cable end from the OEM cable and a regular deepwell socket works fine.

Ayuh,.... 'n I RUINED two(2) perfectly good Snap-on sockets, 'fore I figured that out..... :facepalm: :rolleyes:

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the flange on the pan, around each of the bolt holes, is flat. Ovetightening the bolts tends to bent the flange. You can flatten it back into shape by hammering the flange with the outer surface resting a an appropriate piece of steel, such as an auto body dolly or a hammer. Clean the mounting surfaces to get rid of the old gasket. I'd also siggest you paint the outside of the pan with some black engine paint, such as Rustoleum High-Temp paint, to give it an extra layer of protection against rust. Of course, now would also be a great time to thoroughly clean the bilge, and possibly even paint it. That gives you a nice, clean starting point. I'd also suggest you clean the main harness plug with some emery cloth and the female socket with a small wire brush, such as a gun-cleaning brush. Then put a layer of dielectric grease on all the contacts. Good luck with the rest of your project. Hy

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Here are a few pictures.

Can't find them at the moment and I have to go to work. I'll post them later....

Ken

Found them

Before IMG_00601.jpg After photo 1.jpg

The starter was serviced when I did the head gasket

I have the fuel tank out now and want to replace the rubber pads that go under the tank and also the plastic hold downs that hold the tank down. Two of them are broken.

photo (3).jpg photo 2.jpg photo 5.jpg

Does anybody know where to get this stuff. I emailed our local Sea Ray dealer and am waiting for a response.

Thanks.....

Ken

This thread may need to be moved or should I star a new one?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Might want to ask about those strips over in the Restoration forum. They do a lot of pulling and re-installing tanks there. This forum is for the engine and drive part of your repairs.