Mercruiser Tech Questions

tinroad425

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I have a 19ft Thompson 1986 it has a frozen 170hp mercruiser engine and I have two Questions.

First I have the out drive off and was wondering when I pull if I should leave mounts on for future install line up.

Second I need to know if a 165hp Mercuiser from a 1989 19ft Thompson would bolt rite up or will I need to change a lot of things to move around I don't know about ignition for example or throttle controls or what to look for.

thanks new to the whole boat world and a little nervous

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser Tech Questions

When you pull it always leave the mounts attached to the engine. Simply pull the lag bolts (or whatever you have) that hold the mount to the stringer.

Is this the 4 cylinder Mercruiser engine? And are you wanting to put in another 4 cylinder or are you wanting to put in the straight six?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most will remove the lag bolts off the bottom of the front motor mount that go into the stringers, and not mess with the adjustments on the mount. Motors install better that way. You've got a bolt on each side of the motor in the back to remove that has a tapered washer. After the engine is unhooked from wires, cables, fuel lines and exhaust, the engine's ready to be hoisted.

I think it took less than 1/2 hour for me to pull my 470 engine. And, I'm no professional.

I don't think that any engine can be refitted to the transom plate than the 470. Mercury is a master of making you buy their overly expensive parts.

You should try to find a good used engine or rebuild what you've got. The head is off a 460 Ford. The bearings are the same as used on a 429 Ford engine. The bearings are readily available at NAPA or the Ford dealer. Any good auto machine shop can do the work on the engine. Any quality car mechanic can rebuild this very simple engine.

Just make sure you have a Mercruiser service/repair manual for specs., etc.

tinroad425

Recruit

4cylinder 165hp 1989 donor boat same make similar model was curious about ignition. Pulled old motor yesterday but pulled lags out with it by accident rookie mistake holes look good in boat got lucky just need inserts and epoxy