Rebuilt 350 mercury will turn over but will not start

Tbonemalibu

Cadet
I just had my 350 rebuilt. Well it is still there 2 months later after because they can't figure out why it will not start. If you spray starting fluid in it, it will start but then die. They put a new fuel pump on it and it does nothing different. They did say they got it running with it at full throttle but would not go over 1000 Rpm's. They keep telling me electrical and want more money. Does anyone have a solution or what I could check. I am going to check to see if its bad gas, I have let it sit for a year. Please help. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rebuilt 350 mercury will turn over but will not start

I just had my 350 rebuilt. Well it is still there 2 months later after because they can't figure out why it will not start. If you spray starting fluid in it, it will start but then die. They put a new fuel pump on it and it does nothing different. They did say they got it running with it at full throttle but would not go over 1000 Rpm's. They keep telling me electrical and want more money. Does anyone have a solution or what I could check. I am going to check to see if its bad gas, I have let it sit for a year. Please help. Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like No gas to me,.... What carb,..??

Start it on a remote fuel supply, hooked to the filter before the fuel pump,...

Has anybody Checked the fuel filter for debris,..??

'n What are We workin' on,.... 350 don't mean much, by itself...

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

It is a 89-92 block but everything was replaced with all new pistons, rings etc. I have not tried a alternative source of fuel, but plan on doing it myself tomorrow. I was wondering if it could be the distributor or anything else. He wants to keep telling me electrical but I am not buying it. Any other recommendations.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Im with Bondo......If it starts with a squirt of fuel then dies...then it runs out a fuel....Good... not an electrical problem.

Sounds like your mechanic...don't know how to trouble shoot with out more money.

Did they give you some kind of quote for the work being done?

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

They rebuilt it put it back in and could not figure out why it would not run. I guess he thinks he knows it all and doesn't. He started saying it was electrical. I told him ok if it is electrical then find it and tell me what it is. Never has done that. Paid him the money to rebuild it. And to be honest I would call this a rebuild because it does run

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They rebuilt it put it back in and could not figure out why it would not run.

If they can't troubleshoot a simple thing like that, then how could they rebuild your engine? Sounds like you found a parts changer, not a mechanic to work on your engine.
I would bet there is so many things wrong with that engine it's scary. Did they put the fuel pump push rod in? Valves adjusted right? Bet the distributor is 180 out too.

Do a compression check, that will tell the story.

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

I did do a compression check and all was good with that.

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

They rebuilt one right after mine and it was good and have not had a problem. I know because it was a friend of mine.

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

In all honesty if they did not put the fuel push rod in will it not run?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

With out the fuel push rod in correctly it will not pump fuel to the carb. Therfor not run.....

Did he give any kind of Warranty with the rebuild? If not i would call it even and bring it home and trouble shoot myself with the help of iboats!
Just me......I wouldn't dish out anymore cash to someone that is trying to hose me.

Good Luck!

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

He gave me a warranty but when they can't figure it out then the warranty is no good. They haven't asked for money and I wouldn't give them any either. I am pumping out all the gas now. If it was a vacuum problem where should I look for that. He just told me today that it would run if he held open the larger butterfly on the carb. But once he let go and they shut from the spring it would die. Then he said when I tried to start it again that he held the throttle wide open it would barely idle and then 15 seconds later it would die. It is just not making sense to me. Please help before my head pops off.

Don S

Why are you pumping out the gas? Do this before you do a lot of work for nothing.
Remove the fuel inlet tube from the carb. Put a hose on it (put as clamp on it so it doesn't leak), put the other end of the hose in a container and crank the engine over and see if it pumps any fuel into the container. If not, somewhere between the pump and the tank there is a problem. Pull the fuel pump off and look in the hole and see if you see the push rod.

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

The compression numbers were from 145 to 155 psi. I did pull the fuel pump and fuel pump rid is there. I was getting fuel to carb when pumping throttle. I drained gas and there was a varnish smell as well as water. After draining it the water finally went away. I did not have a chance to hook it up to a external source like I wanted to. Any idea why it would do what it did for them that I found out today? Bad gas do that?

Don S

Boats don't run on water and varnish, they run on gas.
If you got a lot of water out of the tank, (couple of quarts or more) chances are your water separating fuel filter is full of water, not gas and so is the carb.

Time to go into the carb again, as well as clean out the tank, lines, filters, fuel pump, all of it.

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

Ok so here is the next thing that I just found out. That if you mess with the secondaries on the carb it will idle or as they put it "scream". Sounds like vacuum but how could this be happening?

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are having a fuel problem! Troubleshoot it like we have told you.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok so here is the next thing that I just found out. That if you mess with the secondaries on the carb it will idle or as they put it "scream". Sounds like vacuum but how could this be happening?

Ayuh,.... Start at the Fuel Tank, 'n work yer way to the Carb, to be sure ya have a good flow of Gasoline,
'n Nothin' else...
Tank vent, fuel tank, anti-siphon valve, lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, right to the carb's inlet...

No water, No crud, Just fresh gasoline...

If you get a good flow of Gasoline to the carb, 'n it still runs like this,...
Pull the carb, 'n tear it down to see if it's rebuildable...
If so, do so, otherwise, Replace it...

Tbonemalibu

Cadet

It is a brand new quadrajet carb. I was wondering if there was a adjustment screw that would help. I know they don't come adjusted.