long engine crank time to start.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am about to go out and go through the ignition system flow chart on testing the system out. But the previous owners replaced the coil with a Accel 8140C. I was reading on accel's website it looks to me that coil was designed for points ignition but I have the thunderbolt electronic on my 88.

I am going to replace the coil anyways because it is not a marine coil. But could the coil alone cause it to have excessive cranking time before it fires up?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: long engine crank time to start.

Are you using the proper starting procedures for starting a carbed engine? You have to use the throttle only button on the control, pump the throttle to full throttle a time or two, the bring it back to about quarter throttle and then start.
Just leaving it in neutral like your efi car isn't going to work.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: long engine crank time to start.

Don, I should have put in there it is this way EVERY time I start it. Does not matter if I pump it to close the choke, cold engine, warm engine. It takes 5-7 seconds to fire up.

I did some of the tests, and swapped in a ignition coil from my bronco to test out since it also has electronic ignition. With the coil from the bronco it fires up like a engine should start. No excessive cranking.

so I am fixing to order up a sierra ignition coil part number 18-5438. Unless some one recommends something better to replace the coil that is currently in the boat?