3.0 l oil leake around timeingcover seal

robb007

Recruit
i have a 1995 3.0 litre mercuiser .i had a oil leak around my timeing chain cover seal . i replaced the timeing cover and seal put a sleeve around the crank shaft also .i started the motor today and the oil leak is still there .what would cause this leak .it is a steady drip of oil while engine is running .any help would b apreciated.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 3.0 l oil leake around timeingcover seal

Did you center the timing cover and seal over the crank before tightening the cover bolts? There's a special tool (like a bushing) that needs to be placed on the crank, to simulate the harmonic balancer and align the seal with crank. I've never used it, but have used a roll of electrical tape with enough tape pulled off to make a snug fit into the seal. This is not perfect as it will be ever so slightly lopsided and the seal will not be 100% dead center, but I've replaced that seal on a couple engines using an electrical tape roll and haven't had it leak.

FYI, the ID of a roll of electrical tape is the same OD as the crank snout, or close enough. I used a mic to get the thickness of the roll all the way around, as even as possible.

Either that or the cover gaskets are leaking, or there is another leak somewhere else.

Also, check to make sure oil isn't leaking through the balancer to crank press fit, it's possible. And, was sealant used while installing the speedi-sleeve?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Robb.

Welcome to iboats. :)

I have moved this to the Mercruiser forum. It is not a mercury outboard.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard! did you notice if there was a groove in the area of the old seal? and was the new seal stressed when inserting ne seal and bushing?

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since this is a older engine,I would suspect a pinhole in the cover where it is rusted through and has been painted over.

robb007

Recruit

[ok thank you ill try a few of ur tips ..very much appreciated